Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default can i install windows 7?

I have a HP Pavillion a250n. Can i run Windows 7 on it? or will it be slow? I have 1GB ram. other than that, everything is stock

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

The facts about Beta Software

When software companies create new programs, or for that matter new versions of existing programs they do a lot of 'in-house' testing. When they feel that a program is close to being released they sometimes put out Beta versions. The companies know that they are only able to test this software to a certain level, there are so many different computer systems let alone programs out there that they are unable to test all possible variables.

So in releasing a Beta version, they are asking the public to test them on their computers and report back if there are any problems. These problems can range anywhere from minor bugs to computer crashes. You must also be aware, that beta versions have not been completely tested, nor do they come with any guarantees. In addition, there is very little support, if any. Windows 7 beta is a classic example of this, and anyone downloading the program may not get any help with problems until the official release, which looks like it could be at least another year or more.

Members of the public who do the beta testing are usually software/programming experts who are able to communicate the problems to the manufacturer. As a rule, because of the likelihood of bugs and crashes they use a separate computer from their 'everyday' PCs.

So, next time you come across a program in Beta, ask yourself it's worth having to reformat your PC, as a worst case scenario, just to have a few new features or not. We at Help2Go cannot take upon our selves the task of helping with programs in Beta, this goes for small problems, anti virus/malware problems and BSODs (Blue Screen of Death) situations.

If the computer you are referring to is currently running Windows Vista it should run the Windows 7 beta at least as well and possibly even slightly better. I would recommend a minimum of 2gb of ram if possible.
    DO NOT repeat DO Not install the Windows 7 beta as your only operating system. It will expire in August of 2009.
    I have the Win 7 beta installed on one of my computers in a dual boot configuration which is a safe way to give it a try. If you are not sure how to do a dual boot please provide a more detailed set of specifications for the machine you wish to try it on and someone should be able to assist in getting you going.
    Just for your information, I have Vista and Win 7 on separate HD's. Win 7 beta has proven to be very reliable, and I am seeing a noticeable improvement in how smoothly and quickly some of my software (games specifically) are running.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 12gb Ram / Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    HP w2207 Monitor / 24X Dual Layer Optical Drive / 700W PSU /
    Nvidia GeForce HD N460 1GB /...Keurig ready to brew a quick cuppa!

alwrmcusn,

Is it still available for download?

What if i had XP and installed windows 7 without dual boot? Can i go back to XP? Then dual boot?

sami40211,

Can't install 2 operating without dual booting and see below:

Sorry, Windows 7 Beta downloads are no longer available.
    See here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...-download.aspx

What if i have my hp recovery disks? Can i use them to go back to xp?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Did you not see this?
    Sorry, Windows 7 Beta downloads are no longer available.
    See here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...-download.aspx
    . So, if you're going ahead with win 7 I can only assume you're going to get it from BitTorrent? If this is the case, I would strongly recommend you don't. In the first place, it's illegal and secondly, from what I've read, many of the win7 downloads are full of viruses.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I echo Canucks comments. Not only are they likely to be full of rubbish, you can't even be sure you are getting Win 7. Someone told me that their son had downloaded what he thought was Win7 and discovered it was actually Windows ME!!

The best option is to find someone who did download it and use their copy. Their key will also work. There were only 10 keys issued -5 for each of 32bit and 64bit versions, so unique keys don't apply. As alwrmcusn says, come august it'll stop working, and despite what you may have read, it will stop. Microsoft learned their lesson with Vista being pirated and won't make that mistake again.

I gkt it from a friend. And its weird. I rebooted my computer and then i try to partition it. Partitioning wont let me. I use gparted live. It failed on partitioning.o i rebooted again to see if it will work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast