Default Mobile Broadband

Can someone please tell me what is meant by download. I assumed it meant downloading music/video/programs etc, but apparently it can include opening e-mail attachments and watching television or youtube. I am considering buying a USB pay as you go modem with a 3GB limit. I will only use it occasionally, for example when my home broadband is not available or if i need to go away overnight. But they seem to be trying to class everything as download so it could be very expensive.

This is what i am thinking of buying
    T-Mobile USB Modem on T-Mobile PayG USB - The Carphone Warehouse

I have a slingbox, a gadget that lets me watch my home television on my laptop. Would this be classed as download? Sling Media - Home of the Slingbox
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

"what is meant by download".

Transfer a file or program from a central computer to a smaller computer or to a computer at a remote location.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To add to Zeps post, everything you see on your screen is a download. Emails, text, images, graphics, streamed content like YouTube - absolutely everything. Certain webpages will be stored in your cache after the initial download, and may be displayed instead, but generally, that is a very small percentage.

So, from the moment you connect to the internet, you are downloading. For general surfing, emails, etc, 3GB is fine, but that Slingbox will soon eat its way through that limit!

The usual streaming rate for a Slingbox varies a lot, but it's generally recognised that 500kbps is a good average. That would equate to 225MB per hour, so 3GB would last just over 13 hours without any other internet activity.

Unhappy

Thanks. I thought it sounded to good to be true.
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.