Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muffled Sound

Default Muffled Sound

I recently received a new monitor, but one without speakers. After purchasing separate desktop speakers, the sound I now hear seems distorted and muffled. I've tried three different sets of speakers (none of which have independent controls), and adjusted every sound and speaker software control I can find - all without correcting the problem.

Do sound cards go bad? Can I purchase a new one and is it likely to be easy to install?

Thanks.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

First off, check the back of the tower where you're connecting the speakers. You may have a built-in sound card as well as an independent one ... see if there is a second set of sockets that could be used. Next, update your sound card drivers from the card manufacturer or the computer company that made your PC (if you give us the make, model and operating system we could look it up for you). Most half decent speakers systems have at least an on/off switch if not a volume switch (give us the make model of yours).

Default Reply Muffled Sound

Thanks for the suggestions. No additional set of sockets for a second sound card. Don't think the problem is with the speakers - same problem with three different sets, two from the same manufacturer (Logictec), one from Infity. None of the speakers have volume controls or an on/off switch. My sound hardware is Realtec AC97, and, according to the Hardware Update Wizard, no better driver is available.

How about through headphones from the front panel? That make any difference?

Yes, thank you! The sound is great while listening through headphones. Bad/poor quality speakers??

OK. Could just be that your connectors out back are dirty, corroded (light) or something of that nature.

The fix might be as simple as cleaning the jacks and sockets with a little WD-40 or equivalent. Try spraying some on a Q-Tip for the socket, and on a tissue for the jacks.

Be sure you're plugging into the correct sockets in back. They should be light colored green. You may have two sets. one upper and one lower. The lower ones would be for a sound card and the upper for on board audio. If in doubt, clean both.

Use the Q-Tip for socket, computer powered off.

Cheers!

Any other questions feel free to post back

edit2: Please be sure that the plugs are firmly seated in the socket.
    Last edited by whoyagunnacall; 02-27-2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Darn it all and AGIAN

Correction... When listening through headphones, the sound is clearer, but it sounds as if I'm in an echo chamber.

Then maybe you have some sound effects turned on? Have you checked for what might be called "environmental" effects? Like arena, stadium etc...

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Try downloading and install a new driver, the one you have may be damaged Realtek AC'97 Driver (Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003) - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just to throw in a quick observation...if the sound was OK before you fitted the new speakers, wouldn't it be a good idea to test them on another sound source, so you eliminate them as being the problem? Similarly, you could test the audio card/chip by connecting it to an audio input of other equipment - a hifi maybe, to check that aspect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast