Default BSOD Crash During Windows Update

So just as the title of this thread suggests, I crashed while Windows updates were being installed. No updates out of the ordinary and I only checked off updates I was familliar with. So I did a system restore to my last check point and now they are in que waiting to be installed...I suppose that is the notification I keep getting. Anyways, thought I would run them by here to see if there was any opinion on them. Usually it's all good:

*Update for Windows XP KB967715
    *Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update KB951847 x86
    (Update for Root Certificates) - not sure I chose this one, it's not currently checked
    *Update for Windows XP KB96344
    (Microsoft Base Smart CardCryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 KB909520) did not choose this one
    (Remote Desktop Connection Terminal Services Client 6.0 for WIn XP KB925876) did not choose this one
    *Update for Microsoft Silverlight KB960353
    Firewall issue: When ever I re-boot or completely shutdown and re-start, my Windows Firewall is on, then it shuts off; I get a warning, so I go into to turn it on and it says it can't be turned on. Shortly after that it turns on. I've done all the "bug" cleaning but I usually leave my pc on standby anyway so this problem is rare.

DELL E510
    Win XP
    Last edited by turquoise122; 02-26-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I suggest installing the following:

*Update for Windows XP KB967715
    *Update for Windows XP KB96344

If you have Silverlight installed then update with *Update for Microsoft Silverlight KB960353, otherwise just leave it

*Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update KB951847 x86 do not install, this has caused problems with some

(Update for Root Certificates) don't need

(Microsoft Base Smart CardCryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 KB909520) did not choose this one - that's fine

(Remote Desktop Connection Terminal Services Client 6.0 for WIn XP KB925876) did not choose this one - that's fine

As far as the firewall, I understand the Microsoft firewall isn't the greatest, if you want, stop it from running and install the free version of Zone Alarm or Comodo which are much better.

Thanks Canuck. For a while there I was thinking that aaraknid was my personal IT techie ha-ha.
    I've tried out the free firewalls in the past and there were to many pop up warnings for me to decide what to do with when I had no idea what it was or where it was coming from. So I went back to the Windows firewall. This has only started happening in the last few months. {shrug}

Thank you.