Thread: Sound help

Default Sound help

hi there i have recently purchased and installed a new motherboard (ecs GeForce6100PM-M2: ECS Web Site) everything is running fine except for the sound.
    i have installed all drivers that have come on the cd provided by the manufacturer as well as updated the bios but still now sound.
    if any one could shed a little light on the situation it would be much appreciated.
    me bob

Sounds simple, and i'm sure you've checked, since you have the knowledge to actually change out the mother board, but have you checked these things?

is the sound card securely seated? try another slot.
    Is the sound set correctly in BIOS to run from the soundcard/motherboard (if on board is available)
    is the speakers functional? (try on another system)
    Have you got them plugged into the correct interface? (sometimes there are more than one, especially if its a stand alone card but your MB supports on-board sound)
    Have you got mute selected in the sound setup, and is the master olume turned up?

I'm sure you've also checked device manager, to make sure there are not any problems there.

I know, basic stuff, but easy to overlook!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Sadly ive tried all those things you have listed.
    The sound card is integrated with the motherboard, something i should have added before, as well im running windows xp if that helps.

ive tried all your suggestions and still, when i go to sound and audio devices under the controll panel it still says "no audio device"
    me bob

Have you tried uninstalling the sound driver?

it being a new motherboard, and old harddrive, the driver may still be there for the old MB, causing a conflict.

Try going to device manager locating your sound entry, expand the tree and right click the entry. select properties.
    click the driver tab, and choose uninstall.

restart the computer, and see if it helps. post back with results. cant hurt to try!

If this does not work, i'll leave you in the hands of another of our members, as i'm out of ideas.

Good Luck!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

thanks for all your help
    but its still a no go, i had reformatted the hard drive when I rebuilt the computer because i wanted to avoid a situation like this.
    me bob

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Scaryman,

Realtek software and drivers can be a real problem sometimes. If there's even a hint of any old driver present, the new drivers won't install properly.

First thing to do is go into Add or Remove Programs and uninstall anything vaguely related to Realtek - software and drivers. Do the same for anything with Audio in the name.

Next go to Device Manager, find Sound, video & game controllers and uninstall the high definition audio device, if present. Under the same sub-heading, double click on Legacy Audio drivers, then the Properties tab. If there's anything shown, highlight it and click on Remove.

Next, still in Device Manager, find and expand System Devices, right click on Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio and select Uninstall.

Restart the computer and click on Start, Run, then enter services.msc in the text box. When the services window opens, scroll down to Windows Audio and double click on it. In the next window, make sure Startup type is set to Automatic and that the service is started. Click on Apply, OK then try installing the new drivers again.

Good luck.