Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laptop no longer shows my cd/dvd rw drive

I have not been able to use my cd drive anymore, as my laptop doesn't show one installed. I have a Dell Inspiron, I believe it's a 5100 and it has Vista basic home installed on it. The problem is when I open up my computer it doesn't even show up as being on the system anymore. I have booted into the bios screen and that says that there is none installed. I have traced the path to the drivers for this in the \windows\system32\drivers folder and both of the drivers are in the folder and they say they were last modified on 18 Jan 08. I don't know if the drivers were updated by Dell support or not, as my wife and son had been using this machine at that point. I would try to rollback the drivers, but the device manager doesn't show the drive as being on the system. I would appreciate any help you can give me.
    Thank you for your time and efforts.
    Rich Stukey

Default Missing CD/DVD drive

Hi;
    Dont know if this will help but I suffered a similar problem shortly after purchasing a Vista powered machine.
    This is a known problem on XP powered machines and seems to have been forwarded onto Vista.
    All works well then one day normally after M/Soft has installed an update no CD/DVD drive...
    The solution lies here...click the link...

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

I found that the guided help didn't work with my Vista machine but if you follow the instructions for manually deleting two registry entries it should work...at least it did for me...
    Hope this helps...
    Last edited by whitenoiz; 03-02-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling...

Thumbs down CD/DVD drive still not showing up!

I tried the manual removal of the registry upper and lower filters and still my computer will not recognize my optical drive. I am hoping someone else has some ideas. I thank whitenoiz for their input, but unfortunately that did not solve my issue.

Or in bios setting instead of auto detect select cdrom.

zep516

Exclamation I don't seem to have an option to select my cdrom in Bios

I have tried the cd /dvd.fix from the last reply, but he seems to have taken his post down now. At any rate, that did not fix my problem either. I still have no cd drive according to my computer. This is very frustrating.

richsufan,

Have you already done the vb script from here,?

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP

#399 right side
    Last edited by zep516; 03-04-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Default That vb script is the tool that other person had told me about!

Yes, I did try the vb script you mention. That is the tool the other person had told me about and that didn't work either. Do you have any other suggestions?

Did you, or could have someone, drop the laptop at any point?

removal and replacement to check the connections on a cd drive is fairly simple on a dell, i'm thinking it may have become dislodged.

If you need instructions, please check the model number and post back.

If you could tell me how to check the cd drive, I will do it. The model is Inspiron 1501.
    Thanks

Put a bootable cd in it and see if it boots from it.

You will need a bootable CD, you can use your “Dell Resource” CD or any other bootable CD disk.
    Power on the laptop and tap the F12 key to get to the “Boot Selection Menu”. Insert the DELL “Resource CD” into the CD-ROM drive. Select “Boot from CD/DVD drive” from the selection menu.
    If the laptop boots from the CD drive then you Operating System Software is the problem.

If the laptop won’t boot from CD then your CD-ROM is defective and needs to be replaced.
    Last edited by zep516; 03-04-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast