Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back again

Default back again

Not sure where this problem lies ... Our household got a different ISP, but my beastly desktop can't connect!!! I was attempting to get into DOS to release the IP address ... I receive the message "An internal error occurred: The request is not supported. Add'l info: Unable to query host" - so what does that mean and HOW can I correct this??? Thanks!!!!

A few obvious questions to start:

• What operating system? (service pack too please)
    • How are you trying to connect?
    • how are you trying to release the IP address? (Exact procedure please)
    • Why do you think this is the problem?
    • Has the computer ever connected to this network?

Quote Originally Posted by sph92173 View Post
    Not sure where this problem lies ... Our household got a different ISP, but my beastly desktop can't connect!!! I was attempting to get into DOS to release the IP address ... I receive the message "An internal error occurred: The request is not supported. Add'l info: Unable to query host" - so what does that mean and HOW can I correct this??? Thanks!!!!
    I don't know where you live, but here in Australia if you buy a new plan from an new ISP they give explicit instructions how to connect your good self to their system. Did they send you a starter pack, email you that your plan in your name is activated and running in readiness for connection?

Here, most all the above would need to be accomplished before any connection could be attempted.

I suggest you contact your ISP and go from there.

kind regards,

sorry, I am using Window XP service pack 3. I was trying to connect to the wireless connection in the household - it's an 'open' connection. I called tech support for the ISP, and what was happening is that WINDOWS was attemptoing to connect to a 'security-enabled Network'. In the interest of saving space, I will just say ... IT"S ALL GOOD NOW!!!!!!!!!! THANX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMMENDMENT TO PREVIOUS POST!!!!!!! It's NOT GOOD!!! The computer cannot connect to the wireless network. For a moment, it WAS connected - and receiving a strong signal (all 5 bars were illuminated green, OBVIOUSLY connecting to the internet, because I created that post). Then, I re-booted and it's back to square one!!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO???? (I am using my laptop to create THIS posting)

I did contact my ISP, and they tell me that this is possibly a conflict with my network card ... However; the SAME network card has gotten onto the internet USING this new ISP, and the previous. I have been able to run thru the Microsoft network Diagnostics, and it told me thatmy network card has passed...
    Last edited by sph92173; 03-04-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Right Click the LAN icon in your Quicklaunch near the clock and enable Windows to do a repair.

If no joy, can you test the NetWork card in another computer?

Another test would be to go to
    • Start
    • Type cmd - OK
    • type 'ipconfig /flushdns' without the quote
    • Note the space between the f /

I was trying to connect to the wireless connection in the household - it's an 'open' connection
    Have you got a password to connect to this Wireless connection? If not you should have or the neighbours will soon find a cheap internet connection.

Let us know

this new network was ORIGINALLY set up as a 'Security-enabled network' , which required a network key. That became troublesome, so we called the ISP and reverted back to an 'open' network.

I did what you recommended, Tallin, but I recieved the error: unrecognized or incomplete command line.The windows repair didn't do anything.

Try this and this may help.

Have you created a restore point? if not please do before you use Winsockfix. Read about what it does on the website given above too.

You should also backup your registry with ERUNT for safety sake during these times of trouble.

Keep us posted

okay Tallin, I burned the winsock fix to a disc and threw it onto my destkop. I configured my wireless card to autimatically detect settings, and set Windows to do the same.

The ONLY difference NOW is that I can get all five of the bars for my TP-LINK wireless card to light, and they are recieving at 54Mbps ( their MAXIMUM ). I still cannot connect to the internet, though.

When I downloaded that program, I also ran through it on this laptop ... MAYBE it's a little faster ...

I went ahead and logged out, and back on ... and my network card is picking up an excellent signal and the LAN icon is getting 48 Mbps. My desktop has connected to my homepage, and that's a GOOD sign. I'll log out again and re-post. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by sph92173; 03-05-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Default My bedtime is overdue!

Two things now.
    • Your Network Card, either swap it for testing or get another one
    • Were you able to run ipconfig /flushdns as pointed out in my earlier posts

I am stumped other than the above.....sorry. Can you contact your ISP again for further assistance?

While you were editing your last post with more success, I was writing the above. How are things since you logged out and back in? Are you connected, if not try the above tips at the begining of this post.

Once you get connected, don't keep logging off either let it run and do some browsing/testing/surfing the internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast