Smile About removing Norton Antivirus and installing AVG

Hello there,
    I was last on to you around Dec when I got a new pc. I allowed the Norton free trial onto my pc, which you didnt think was a good idea. Well, it has one day to go now so I'd like your help in removing it and downloading AVG Free, please.
    Thanking you,
    Rachel Ni Mhordha

Hello

Rachel Ni Mhordha,

First download AVG free from here AVG Free - Download antivirus and antispyware software for Windows XP and Vista, just download do not install it yet till we remove Norton.

Then once the AVG Icon is on the desk top:

In the link below follow the Norton Removal instructions,

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Once all the Norton files are gone go back to the desktop and now double click the AVG Icon that you downloaded before and follow the install prompts.
    Last edited by zep516; 03-04-2009 at 07:31 PM.

The Norton download page is asking me what type of Norton I have but it doesn't mention the 60 day free trial, which is what I have. what should I click into to continue the removal, please?

Last edited by zep516; 03-04-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Its telling me to close all programmes before I proceed and that I will have to restart my computer after running the tool. If I do this, how will I run the AVG install? Will it disappear if I close the programme since I have not installed it yet?

Don't worry AVG will be there.

Right! I'll close everything. Hope you don't disappear forever!

Who, me or AVG,

I'm Not going anywhere, and AVG is only 2 clicks away!

Well, I unloaded Norton and it's icon has gone from my task bar. But when I restarted my pc AVG wasn't on the desktop. It reopened on the 'reinstall Norton' page. I tried to get in touch with you but it said the web page couldn't be displayed. So I downloaded AVG Free from it's own site-successfully, I think, since all the warnings from Microsoft Security centre have gone now. My firewall etc is turned on and I seem to be protected. Thank you very much for your help with this. I'm just wondering why Norton is so bad. Everyone seems to hate it!

It's a big Anti Virus program and uses a lot of resources plus the fact you have to pay for it and it provides no more protection then AVG really.

You need to consider installing a better firewall then the windows firewall it's not the best I recommend Zone Alarm but there are other free ones available.

zep516

Free here http://www.iopus.com/guides/free-firewall.htm Turn the WINDOWS FIREWALL off when you install a new one.
    Last edited by zep516; 03-05-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: sp