Red face How to detect Spyware posted by my ex husband?

Hi,

I have recently discovered that my ex husband used Spyware on my laptop to record to my keystrokes so he could monitor my emails and MSN chat. I understand that the Spyware would email him with everything that I had typed. I saw some files containing downloads of complete MSN conversations I had had with my friends.

I am also aware that he wrote an anonymous letter to my employer and I suspect he wrote more than one. There is a chance that he used my laptop to do this on.

My questions are -

1. How can I find out the date that he installed the Spyware?

2. How can I find all the downloaded files that he obtained?

3. Having got all the information how do I make my computer safe and delete all the Spyware permanently? NB I don't want to do an automatic deletion, as I want to try and see what he had downloaded

4. What is the best software to try and recover letters he may have written and then deleted?

I have an Acer laptop and am running XP. Many thanks in anticipation of your help.
    P.S. Guess you can work out why he is now my EX husband!

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

I'm moving this to the Computer Help forum so others can reply.

This is just my opinion. Others may have more input.

1. How can I find out the date that he installed the Spyware?
    Depending on what he is using, which obviously we don't know, it may be impossible.

2. How can I find all the downloaded files that he obtained?
    Same answer as above.

3. Having got all the information how do I make my computer safe and delete all the Spyware permanently? NB I don't want to do an automatic deletion, as I want to try and see what he had downloaded
    Again, depending on what he used it may be impossible to ever trust this computer without reformatting the hard drive and installing Windows as a new install.

4. What is the best software to try and recover letters he may have written and then deleted?
    If he is using remote software there might not be any traces to find.

You might try calling a few licensed computer technicians and see if they will have a look. They, like me don't may not want to get involved. What your ex is doing is actually illegal. You might even call the police, or your attorney. It's probably a game to your ex but in reality it's illegal to do what he is doing.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Default Thanks and further info...

Thank you for your quick response. I am at work at the moment and so can't check my home computer but when I get back I will update this thread with the names on the files I have found because I think it is the software name. He would have put this on the computer whilst we were still living together. Although it was my laptop, he had a Windows User ID on it of his own. It was when I got round to deleting his user id that I discovered these files of downloaded MSN chat etc. I suppose he couuld still be getting information by email remotely even now? Is what he did illegal in the UK do you know even if it was on a shared computer? After all, there are some parental controls that download MSN chat etc and presumably they are legal?

I don't want to do anything with the information, as there is much water under the bridge now - I just want to know the extent of his spying!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Bolly,

I agree with what Evilfantasy says, in addition, your question as to if it is also illegal in the UK, would surely expect it is. As EF notes, if you wish to delve into this, get a lawyer and computer tech involved. If you're not going forward with legal action, I would strongly suggest you have the laptop reformatted and start from scratch, also as EF recommends. Also, without knowing the programs that were installed, I would not have the laptop connected to the Internet, just for your own peace of mind.

Good luck with this, and please forward the program names so we can let you know what they are capable of at a minimum. Stay in touch.

I definatley suggest you get legal advice.

Get the police involved before he does this to someone else!

Default Have found the program names..

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice.

I have been digging on my computer and found two separate programs - one is FamilyKeyLogger_setup.exe, also HomeKeyLogger_setup.exe and another one which is hoopaa.exe.

There are compressed files containing MSN conversations and also some compressed photos, but they seem fairly innocous - not sure if you can hide files within files?

All these folders were shown as 'hidden' so I have taken that attribute off so I can see them now. I suspected that he needed to be able to access my computer to get to the files because the last access shows Feb 2008 which is the last time he could have actually accessed my computer. However, in an unguarded moment he did say something about things being sent to him by email. I have been using my computer since - I will take the advice regarding formatting it etc anyway, but surely there would be a trace on here now if he were still receiving info from my laptop? MY Avast antivirus kept coming up with a virus warning when I was looking at these folders and trying to uncompress files. Also the KeyLogger program keeps prompting for a password when I try to retrieve the files - I don' t know this password obviously. Can I get round this or not?

The last thing I want to do before I format the disk is to try and un-erase any files he may have written (see my first post re anon letters he may have written). Can anyone recommend a safe program I can download to do this please?

Thank you everyone...

Those are all used to track what someone does. Format the drive and reinstall Windows,

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

The last thing I want to do before I format the disk is to try and un-erase any files he may have written (see my first post re anon letters he may have written). Can anyone recommend a safe program I can download to do this please?
    Do you mean recovery software? Depending on how long it has been recovering deleted files can be very hard.

Free recovery software

Commercial recovery software

Commercial recovery software will increase the chances of recovering important data. It's not free but can be well worth the price.

Hi Bolly, I'm not qualified to give any technical advice on this but I can tell you that installing this type of software on a computer that is not your own or without the explicit permission of the owner is definitely illegal in the UK. If you want to be fully informed on this aspect, the Information Commissioner's Office on 08456 30 60 60 can advise further.

I agree with Mr Darn : can I suggest that before taking any steps to uninstall / remove any such software that you get on record (perhaps with your solicitor) the existence of what you have found - even if you don't intend using the evidence at this time you never know if you may need it at some point in the future and once it's deleted that evidence will have disappeared.

Back to the techs ...

Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Default Many thanks..

Steph

Thanks for the suggestion - will certainly get what I have recorded as you never know when I may need it in the future.

Thanks also to Evilfantasy for the file recovery suggestions - they are really good.

Cheers everyone,

Bolly