Default Vulnerability in Adobe Reader 9 and earlier versions

I was playing a word game and a notice came on to tell me to download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX. I went into the Adobe site and they said that this vulnerability is critical. We could protect ourselves by disabling Java script, it said, and gives directions how to do this. Should I do this? I haven't a clue about this type of thing. I like to play word games on Facebook, which is why I need ActiveX. Could you advise me what to do, please?

Follow the directions given about Java script,

Adobe says it will have a patch for Acrobat Reader 9 by March 11. Patches for earlier versions will follow.

Others may reply.

zep516

God help you-you're probably screaming 'cos I'm online tormenting you. My problem is this: how do I open Adobe Reader or Acrobat? It's not there when I go into All Programmes. Adobe Photoshop is, which is hilarious since I don't actually have that! When I right-click on the Start Menu, Adobe appears in the list. When I click to open it, a list of file/folders is displayed. Its giving me all the files and folders involved in Adobe but I can't open any of them to get into where I can disable the Javascript. How do I actually open Adobe reader or Acrobat so I can do what they advise? thank you for your patience.

If Adobe reader] is not in the add/remove programs list then most likely you do not have it installed.

Adobe Reader is used to open PDF files, Portable Document files.

This is a test for PDF files can you open this link ----> http://www.buildeazy.com/plans/test.pdf

Below is what the link above actually displays:

This is a PDF File Test Page
    If you can read this, then you must have downloaded it and therefore will be able to download any plans in pdf
    file format.
    Of course, the plans will take a little longer to download than this page, because the plans contain more
    pages.
    This is a picture of a house that could do with a handyman.

Where did you get that pic of my house-joke. Yes, I could read it so it must be on my pc. Adobe reader is on the list when I go into Control Panel/Uninstall or change programmes but I can't open it from there. Is there anywhere I could just go into it the way I would go into Word, say? In my Control Panel there is a Java icon which, when you click into it, brings up a Java control panel. But, it doesn't say anything about Java script there.

Disable Java script in the browser as in IE, OR firefox.

So what browser do you use?

Instructions for IE here----> http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahqx.html

Internet Explorer

I've done what it told me to do and it said to restart my browser afterwards. Since it is 3.24am in Ireland, I won't restart it now. I'll take this opportunity to thank you again for your help and say Goodnight.

Good nite,

Rachel