Thread: Speed Tests

Default Speed Tests

I have Comcast here in Houston. I think that they advertise their speed at 6000+kbs.
    When I run a speed test, I am lucky to get 1200kbs download(generally 950 or so). My upload is generally more than the download. I first noticed this about 2 weeks ago I thought that the test server might be overloaded. I try other servers and other test sites. I am wondering if it might be some software that I am running. I haven't got any new programs, but have updated AVG, ad-aware, spy-bot, and spyware guard recently. Generally when I download something, it seems to come as fast as ever, but the speed tests are much slower than before.

Arbfarkle,

No speed test engine can give 100% accurate results, because there are factors on which the results depend, some of which are out of control.

Source: How Accurate Are Speed Tests?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Speedtest.net is the one I use, as do many techs. If your numbers are coming out about 1/3 less than they should, contact Comcast and they should be able to do a test and recommend a fix.

Default Speedtest.net

Speedtest.net is primarily the one that I have used. Sometimes I get a little better results with one of the others, but I am still at about 20%. I didn't know if the friendly folk at Comcast would try to help or not. Thanks for that suggestion. When I have the time to wait, I'll try to call them. Again Thanks.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most providers include the words 'up to' in front of the quoted speed, just to give them a get out. Saying that, 20% isn't normal and I've never ever seen upload speeds faster than download!!

Try going into Safe Mode with Networking and run the test. That'll at least show if anything on your machine is causing the problem. If on a wifi connection, try changing your security settings in case someone else is using your connection.

Comcast will probably ask you to do all that anyway before accepting liability.

Speed Test - dslreports.com will give you a list of test sites all over the world. You can also download drtcp to tweak your settings, specifically the Rwin setting. There is a long formula to figure out what it should be, but I have found that 15 times the advertised speed is pretty close. 15 times 6000= 90000.

DrTcp available here: DrTCP windows tcp tuning and tweaking - dslreports.com

Charlie

It should be noted that tweaking is for XP, not Vista
    Last edited by Grim322; 03-12-2009 at 11:44 PM.