Unhappy Dell Inspiron Laptop problem

Hi, I am staying in an hotel in Spain (I'm from the UK). I purchased a Dell Inspiron Laptop last Saturday and bought this with me to log on on the hotel's laptop via wifi.

It worked fine the first day but since yesterday I just can't get it to work. I can connect to the hotel's wifi fine but when I click for the internet it says "page cannot be found". I check I am connected but no luck with the internet.

I've made sure I press the wifi symbol on the keyboard to activate it (obviously else I wouldn't connect otherwise).

Any hints or tips? don't really want to ring Dell from Spain and pay a fortune!

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

Jaceyw

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If it was working, I suggest it's probably the Hotel's connection that's having the problem. Check with their front desk, also ask them if they have a password to access the NET.

There isn't a problem with the hotel's broadband. I can access it using my phone and my partner can access it via his laptop. anything else it might be? Thanks!

Do you see the 2 computer Icons in the system tray near the clock, if so right click, Vista will have the option Diagnose and Repair, I think xp only has repair, try it.

zep516

Thanks but done that too! I have Vista. Any more suggestions? Really appreciate your quick replies

I am logging out of the internet cafe at the hotel now - running out of euros! Will check back later this evening. Keep any suggestions coming please, will be so grateful.

Jaceyw

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Assuming you are using IE, try right clicking on the IE icon on the desktop and select Start without Add-ons. See if that makes a difference. If that works OK, as that is a diagnostic option, go into Tools, Internet Options and under the Advanced tab, click on the Reset button.

Also check your firewall settings to ensure the connection isn't blocked. A further diagnostic option is to start in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can connect. If you can, you need to use msconfig to see what's blocking the connection and disable it.

Thx, will give this a go and let you know how I get on. Jaceyw

Brilliant, this worked. Thank you so much Arraknid, you have saved me a lot of time and frustration. Jaceyw