Default Fresh Install Problems

I completed a fresh XP install on a new hard drive since my old hard drive was dead. Now I am having problems with the drivers. I cannot connect to the internet which makes updating them all the more difficult. In the device manager, it lists question mark icons next to other devices, specifically: Multimedia Audio Controller, Other PCI Bridge Device, SM Bus Controller, and Video Controller (VGA Compatable).

I went to Abit.com from another computer for my nForce4 Chipset Driver. I transfered them over and the InstallShield Wizard for NVIDIA nForce Drivers says that it is installing NVIDIA SMBus Driver, NVIDIA Ethernet Driver, and NVIDIA IDE Driver. I receive the following information:

NVIDIA IDE SW Driver Information
    ------------------
    The NVIDIA IDE SW driver replaces the ATA drivers (that come with Windows) with drivers that are optimized for nForce2/nForce3/nForce4-based desktop comuters.

The NVIDIA IDE SW driver reduces the storage sub-system bottleneck, enabling the processor and other system level hardware to be more productive and efficient.

Installation of the NVIDIA IDE SW Driver is required to enable the NVIDA RAID solution. If you are installing NVIDIA RAID into a NEW Windows Operating System, a floppy disk with the NVIDIA IDE Drivers must be created to enable installation of NVIDIA RAID.

In most cases, the NVIDIA IDE SW driver is not a requirement for your operating system to work properly.
    ----------------

I am then asked if I want to install the NVIDA IDE SW driver, and I select yes.

I am then greated with a posiive appearing InstallShield Wizard Complete
    The installShield Wizard has successfully installed NCIDIA Windows nForce Drivers. Before you can use the program, you must restart your computer.

I select: Yes, I want to restart my computer now.

My computer restarts, but it appears as if nothing has taken affect. Does this mean my mother board is bad, in addition to my old hard drive?

My mother board is an Abit KN8 Ultra, by the way.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am then asked if I want to install the NVIDA IDE SW driver, and I select yes
    Unless you have a RAID setup, you shouldn't install that driver. It isn't necessary. Try running the installer again, but say no to that install. It should then move to the next driver install.

Did you install the board yourself, or was it part of a retail package? If you purchased the board separately, it would have had a CD containing all necessary drivers. If the board was installed in a retail machine, you should download drivers from the machine manufacturers site, not Abit.

Bear in mind that Abit went into liquidation recently, so future support will be minimal.

*I think I would have fallen in love with you had not selecting yes there done the trick; regretfully, it did not.*
    My desktop was custom built and I do not have any discs for the mobo, if it came with any. I found some BIOS loads on the web that claim to solve similar if not identical problems. I am not certain and I don't claim to be that computer savy. I don't necessarily feel extremely confident in doing the BIOS update, as I have never done anything in safe mode, with command promps, or jumpers. If you think it may help though, I will perservere or perhaps contact someone nearby that's more "in the know" for the actions. Here is most of the text that came with the BIOS download:

OS release 1.9 for KN8, KN8 Ultra, KN8 SLI, KN8 Ultra-SOTES

Release information:

[ENGLISH]

1. Fixed the issue that the serial port and parallel port may not work.
    2. BIOS compiled date: 05/15/2006

********************************* NOTE *********************************

1. How to upgrade BIOS:

a. Boot into MS-DOS or "Safe mode and command prompt" if you are using
    Windows95/98
    b. Run "KN819.ZIP" to extract all files.
    c. Run "runme.bat"

*** Please notice that we suggest you flashing the bios with switches

"/py /sn /cd /cp /cc /cks /R" or by "runme.bat".

d. For more detail, please visit:

http://fae.abit.com.tw/cht/download/bioshelp.htm (Chinese)
    http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bioshelp.htm (English)

2.After BIOS updated, pull off the power cord and then clear the CMOS data
    via jumper before restarting system please.

============================================================================

You think I should try this?
    Last edited by jwep; 03-13-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Blog Entries

OK, I have a few observations...

All motherboards sold independently have a CD of drivers included, but whilst they should also be available for download, often they are updated versions. Often, when there are problems, it's better to revert to the original drivers as a starting point and work up from there. At least you know they worked once.

Was the HD failure due to anything abnormal like a storm or power fluctuation?

If you are simply reinstalling Windows, your BIOS will be as it was before the HD replacement, so shouldn't need updating. If it worked OK then, it will now - with the proviso that if the HD failure was due to something external, the BIOS may have been corrupted. In that case, it's worth a try. I should add though that the problems you are experiencing are not serial or parallel port related.

If that fails to solve the problem, and considering the age of the system, it may be time to consider a replacement.

So I should try to find old drivers?
    The power where I am at right now (Turkey), is far from ideal. Fluctuations are rather frequent and sometimes dramatic.
    Also, I messed around in the BIOS quite a bit, trying to get the old HD to function.
    I am not in the best position to replace my desktop; however, should the BIOS update not work, and my options are nill, I would like to salvage some of the parts, perhaps for the kids. Would you suggest buying the idnetical mobo, or not considering Abit is out of business?

Blog Entries

If the HD failed because of electrical problems, there is an outside chance the board was also damaged, but not necessarily.

Fist thing to do is get things back to factory settings. Go into BIOS and reset to default. There are normally a couple of options available, just look for Load Defaults or similar, then save it and reboot. If the problem persists, by all means try the BIOS update, but maybe try to find someone who knows what they are doing. Flashing BIOS can cause problems as well as curing them.

The only way to replace the MB with the same model would be to find an old one. That model hasn't been manufactured for some time - and won't ever be again. There are still a few socket 939 boards from other manufacturers around and at very low prices. Just Google socket 939 motherboard.

Good luck.

So what is the comman to run stuff in the cmd.exe in safe mode? /run kn819.zip, \run kn819.zip, /r kn819.zip, and \r kn819.zip were all given the response: is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Blog Entries

No need to do that, there is another way.

Go here and download the first item in the list (FlashMenu). Once downloaded, install it.

Next, go here and download the Manual for your machine - again the first item in the list.

Launch the manual pdf and go to section 4.6. That'll show you how to run the FlashMenu utility from within Windows, with no need to use a command prompt.

Good luck.