Default Computer cannot find DVD drives

I have a Dell Precision 370 WS running XP SP2. I have 2 each internal Plextor PX-760A DVDR ATAPI drives. They have been installed for sometime. I'm not sure when this happened but I just realized my computer cannot find the DVD drives. When I use Device Manager to look at them they each have a yellow exclamation point in front of them. They both say: "Windows has successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware (Code 41)". If I connect a USB DVD drive it gives the same response. I would really appreciate any help.

I would recheck the cables and connections, then reload/ update the drivers.

Thanks for your reply. I checked the internal flat ribbon cable to make sure it was connected. I don't have away of testing the cable short of replacing it. But I get the same problem with a USB device which would not use that cable. I also reloaded the driver. But still have the prob. I hope its not a mother board prob or some other terrible thing.

Hmm? It seems strange that the USB and IDE controller issues would be related. What does your USB controller show in Device Manager?

Also, have there been any recent changes to the system? i.e. updated drivers, new software, hardware, etc?

I Googled [code 41] and came up with this,
    http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272544

Post #2 has a possible solution.
    Last edited by rwc1969; 03-13-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Click here, and download to your desktop. Then double click the file, confirm addition to the registry, and restart the computer.

See if that helps.

Thank you both very much for your help!! I used arraknid's solution since it was an automated way to edit the register. And the prob is fixed!! Again thank you both for your help!!

Wink Is it just me or are Microsoft just plain incompetent?

Given that this problem first appeared in 2002 as part of a 'routine' M/S XP update and that the fix has been around since shortly after, do you not find it strange that even today some 7 years later the problem still exists and has in fact been allowed to migrate into Vista?

This was the problem that first drew me to Help2Go just days after I purchased a brand new Vista machine...Strangely enough our other machine (XP Driven) has never had the problem despite taking all the updates...

I don't feel that anything I encounter with MS is "strange." Their products are always covered with band-aids. I was puzzled that this problem occurred seemingly out of nowhere. Might have been caused by some MS update. Stranger things have happened with MS updates. But I have found the help I've received from Help2Go to be terrific!!

Sorry to learn you purchased a Vista machine. I would rather eat worms than migrate to Vista or Windows 7.