Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default windows xp logoff immediately

Immediate logoff from windows XP: after I reached the login screen and clicked on my username it started to log me in. My wallpaper flashed briefly and then it logged me out immediately. Same result for other users on this computer, and same result if I go in safe mode.

deejaym,

Whats the make & model# ?

Have you removed any Malware recently or any other changes to pc?

What operating or recovery discs do you have?

Lots of questions but it will help as the thread moves on.

zep516

I just noticed you are in the spyware forum if this is the same computer you need to finish there first.

This ios a different PC and I have also just completed the spyware forum issue on the last one (successful resolution, great help from you folks). Info requested:
    Whats the make & model# ? HP Compaq d530S
    Have you removed any Malware recently or any other changes to pc? No
    What operating or recovery discs do you have? None, it was purchased as a used machine, no disks provided. But we do have an identical machine from the same reseller.

Not sure what's taking place, I googled "windows xp logoff immediately" try it....

Most of what I saw was to do a repair install, you would need a disc for that.

Not sure if that machine HP Compaq d530S has it's own recovery partition on the drive, an how to access it in your situation, if in fact you needed to go that way..

Lets see what others can add
    Last edited by zep516; 03-18-2009 at 10:40 PM.

When your booting up, tap F8 (or F5 on some machines) to get to the safe mode options screen. it should look like this:

DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO USE MSCONFIG TO BOOT TO SAFEMODE!!!
    If you cannot get to safemode options screen using F8 or F5, please post back

Please select the highlighted option, then boot normally into windows.

If a screen appears with a Blue background, copy down as much info as you can from that screen, then post back.

If that option is not available, or no bluescreen appears, please let us know.

I booted into safe mode as requested, choosing "Disable automatic restart on system failure" but got the same result: I got the screen to choose my operating system (and on the bottom in blue was the line "Disable automatic restart on system failure", chose XP Professional, got the screen to choose my user name, got the welcome screen, then very briefly my background appeared, then it said logging off and back to the welcome screen.

Please re-read my previous post.

i did not want you to boot to safe mode, i wanted you to boot to the Safe Mode Options Screen where you can choose the option highlighted in the image, which is "Disable automatic restart on system failure"

Did you complete this step?

After choosing the option Disable automatic restart on system failure, you should then reboot normally, and see if a blue screen appears.

I apologise for not making this clear the first time.

Perhaps I didn't write my response clearly. I booted with the safe mode options screen, chose "Disable automatic restart on system failure" then went through a normal boot which was to choose my operating system (the line "Disable automatic restart on system failure" was shown on the bottom of the screen as I booted), choose my user, and the system briefly logged on, showing the background, then immediately logged off.

Perhaps the disconnect is your direction "After choosing the option Disable automatic restart on system failure, you should then reboot normally"...in my case after making that choice the system went directly into a normal boot - I didn't have any other choices.

Its the fact the system never left a bluescreen thats concerning me.

The only time i've known this to happen is due to processor heat.

Some further questions for you:

• is this a desktop or laptop?
    • Have you made any hardware changes? ie new soundcards, graphics cards etc
    • When you boot up, do you hear the system fans kick in?
    • If desktop, when was the last time the tower was opened up?
    • When it gets to the desktop and fails, does the fans stop?

Without that bluescreen, its a process of elimination, so any other relevant info you can think of, please include.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast