Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop format

Default Laptop format

Can someone please advise me? I need to format the hard drive in a laptop, usually I would do this through a floppy boot up disk but the laptop hasn't got a floppy drive so, could anyone please advise me how I go about this? Thank you.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Please explain why you want to do that. Are you installing a new operating system, or just cleaning everything off the drive prior to selling?

Default Laptop format

Hi arakknid

Yeah, I got a virus or something on the system & I need/and want to format the hard drive in order to clean it and install a new operating system. Can you advise? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Installing the new operating system will reformat the drive automatically. Just be sure to select a full format rather than a quick format when asked.

I do intend to install a new OS but, is it possible to format the hard drive beforehand & if so how do I do it please?

Blog Entries

There are a number of programs available to reformat your drive which will run from a CD, but it isn't necessary. You'd just be repeating what the fresh install will do anyway. You'd end up reformatting a reformatted drive!

If you were reselling the machine and wanted to ensure all personal info was totally erased, something like KillDisk will do that, but it'll take many hours to process, depending on the drive size. For a clean reinstall, that isn't necessary.

Thanks, really appreciate your help. At the risk of being a pain - could you also advise me? Before when I've put a CD Rom disc in the drive, I can hear (and feel) the laptop trying to read the disc but for some reason it can't read the data. I've cleaned the disc but still it can't seem to read the data, the CD rom drive appears to be working correctly except for the fact the laptopn can't seem to access or read the data on the disc, are you able to advise me as to what is the problem? Sorry to keep on.

Blog Entries

Are you saying you can't hear or feel anything now? If you insert a music CD, does it play?

Sorry for the delayed reply...what I mean is...I can hear the sound of the CDRom working and the data trying to be read, and I can feel the vibration of the CD drive as the CDRom spins but, for some reason the data isn't quite getting through, there's no info on screen, its like the CDRom isn't working properly even though it appears to be working fine or somehow the data isn't or cannot be read properly?

Blog Entries

Did you try playing an audio CD?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast