Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    This quick fix has just been released which may help. If it does, please let us know.
    Click on Start, Run and paste the following in the text box, then OK.
    regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
    Now restart.

Thank you for the suggestion, arraknid. When I pasted that in the text box another box popped up that said " DlRegisterServer in actxplxy.dll succeeded!". I restarted my computer and there's no change. I'm wondering if it did what it was supposed to do or I'm missing a step somewhere.

In having to re-establish everything all over again I was, once again, presented with the prompt to install Windows Service Pack 3. Whenever I did that in the past my computer would crash so I upgraded to Windows IE8. I noticed that when I upgraded another box popped up that said something to the effect that Google search box was incompatible with Windows 8 and could cause one's computer to crash or not to respond. I don't have a Google search box in my task bar and my computer has not crashed for awhile but the pages are not responding as they should nor are pictures displaying as they should.

I find that if I copy and paste something it will take at least three minutes trying to process that request. If I go back and copy the item(a couple of lines long) and try to paste it again, the page I want to copy to will go blank, then after several minutes the page will re-appear with the item pasted in. The same thing happens if I click the Back or Forward button- the boxes will appear one by one taking a long time to do so, then all boxes will appear but the original page is still there, after several minutes the whole screen will go white and after several minutes the requested page will appear. Occasionally I'll have things appear that I didn't request such as "properties",etc and sometimes in calling up a page the page will disappear altogether and I have to type in the address all over again.

I also am finding that there is alot of "explorer cannot display the webpage" unless I enter the link again and again and also if I try to hurry the above process along by clicking "enter" or "back" or any other button it will say " the program is not responding...end now".

It takes at least ten minutes for my computer to reach operational stage because it seems to be running some type of program or update(I'm getting one or more requests from Windows every day for updates and find that it starts running as soon as I turn my computer on at the beginning of the day- this seems to sap alot of energy because I can't call up anything while it's doing this. I just get up and leave my computer for ten minutes until it finishes whatever it's doing).

Since I am back at square one there are several requests that appear at start up from installations I no longer use or a program I no longer use. One is Norton's another is TrendMicro . Also the Compaq Organize. It takes time to load these and I thought if they were eliminated it would shorten the time it takes for me to be able to use my computer.

Thanks again for your help.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The response you got was correct, but didn't help.

You're right to turn down SP3, but I wonder if you should have done the same with IE8. You should uninstall it to see if things improve. First try Add or Remove Programs. If that doesn't work or there's no entry for IE8, click on Start, Run and paste the following into the text box and click on OK.

c:\windows\ie8\spuninst.exe

That should bring up the IE8 uninstaller - just follow the prompts.

You should bear in mind that IE8 was designed for Vista, but is 'tolerated' in XP. Not having SP3 won't help either, so if you intend sticking with SP2, also stick with IE7.

You should bear in mind that IE8 was designed for Vista, but is 'tolerated' in XP. Not having SP3 won't help either, so if you intend sticking with SP2, also stick with IE7.
    The reason why I switched to IE8 was because IE7 kept prompting for SP3 installation. With SP3 my computer was crashing, without SP3 it wasn't updating and I was experiencing numerous problems. I didn't realize that until I received a prompt to update to IE8 upon which the prompts for installing SP3 stopped and so did the problems. My computer speeded up and became operational in less than two minutes. Not only that I was able to bring up pages,etc in seconds. No problems.

Everything was fine for about two weeks. Then suddenly there were problems.

I am coming to the same conclusion that although IE8 worked for awhile it isn't working now and just today a pop-up box stated that it was switching to "compatibility view" mode because the site(ebay) I was on was compatible with an older browser and not the new updated browser that Yahoo had suggested I install. That could explain why it's taking alot of time to bring up the pictures on that site, and why there are red X boxes instead of pictures on other sites.

It does not completely explain, however, why my computer is extremely slow. When I logged in on this site it took four minutes from the time I logged in for the opening page to appear. It's the same with logging in to Yahoo, bringing up pages,copying and pasting, and just about every other request.

I installed IE8 because it appeared to be the solution to the problems I was having and, as I said, it was, for awhile.

I will follow your suggestion at this point, and try to see what combination will work. If I re-install IE7 I will be back to continual prompts for SP3 updates, Windows won't be updated fully, and I don't know if this could cause problems again as it has in the past.

Thank you, arraknid for your continued help.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First, be clear that you don't need SP3. I don't have it, nor do most IT professionals.
    Second, you can switch off IE updates by going into Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab. Under Browsing sub-header, uncheck Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates, click on Apply and OK.

As far as constant prompts for SP3, right click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the Automatic Updates tab and select Notify me but don't automatically download or install them, then Apply and OK.

Within a few hours, you'll get a popup telling you there are updates available. View them and deselect the SP3 update which should be there. The next window will allow you to never get that download again, so agree to it and you are done. If you wish you can go back and reselect Automatic Updates again. If you don't get it in the list straight away, just wait till you do - it will appear!!

Good Luck.

Thank you, arraknid. I have done as you have suggested and will wait to see if things(hopefully) improve.

Thanks again for your help. It was much needed and very much appreciated.

.....You're right to turn down SP3, but I wonder if you should have done the same with IE8. You should uninstall it to see if things improve......

You were correct, arraknid. That was the problem. I uninstalled IE8 and also uninstalled a Yahoo software update and everything speeded up 99 percent. Not only that, the red x boxes are gone and all pictures are appearing as they should. Pages, pictures, links, etc, all call up within seconds and the follow-through on commands is almost immediate.

Thank you, arraknid. Once again you've been a BIG help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12