Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Computer suddenly extremely slow/fragmentation

Hi, For the last couple of weeks my computer was working very well. Fast to pull up pages,etc. No problems. Suddenly this morning it takes 3-5 minutes to pull up a page and 99 percent of any pictures regardless of the website(including Yahoo's main page) show red boxes instead of pictures.

If I pull up one page another will appear that has been minimized or pages are fragmenting, that is, if I sign in to my Yahoo email account while another page is minimized, a combination of the two pages will appear, fragmented. Sometimes a totally different page from a site will appear from out of nowhere.

Also, if I sign in to my Yahoo account instead of reaching the main page sometimes there's just a listing of every one of my files all underlined in one long row

Not only that, if I click to Exit nothing happens. I either have to click multiple times or hit the button on the hard drive to get out of the whole system because the computer will freeze indefinitely.

I've tried System Restore, deleting temporary files, deleting cookies, browsing history.checked that "show picture" was checked in the Internet Options, and anything else I could think of to solve this yet the problem remains. There's nothing I downloaded recently that was unsafe and system scan show no viruses, trojans, etc.

Any help as to how to correct this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Make & Model of computer?

Right click Mycomputer Icon on the desk top or start menu choose properties how much Ram is installed?

Then double click Mycomputer hold your mouse over Local Disc a little window pops up please provide the Disc space information presented.

This seems to be an ongoing problem with your computer what discs do you have available to you as in recovery or operating system discs.
    Last edited by zep516; 03-22-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Thank you for your reply, zep516.

Computer make/model: Compaq Presario SR1520NX
    512MB DDRSDRAM Memory
    160GB Hard drive

Hard Drive:

Local disk C: total size 143GB
    free space 100GB

Presario RP(D total size 5.98
    free space .98

Re recovery disks, two were made up(removeable) that I can use as recovery disks should
    my computer crash in order to restore it. I don't know if you mean that kind of recovery disk.

BTW, when I was typing this a box popped up that said this:

Properties:

Protocol: unknown protocol
    Type: not available
    Connection: not encrypted
    Size: not available
    Created: not available

rio143,

Your having a lot of issues here again I would at this point replace the ram an think about bringing the amount of ram to 1 Gig you currently have 512mb, take that out an replace it w/ a 1 Gig stick try that first.

RAM-------->Scan here Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - About Crucial:Media Toolbox

There is not much else to consider you spent a lot of time in the spyware forum not long ago so at this point it's a matter of taking educated guess more or less.

I would start with the ram first then consider a full restore using those recovery discs you have if the ram does not do it.

Best I can offer...

zep516

Thank you, again, zep516 for your reply. I will look into increasing the amount of RAM but am puzzled as to, if that is the problem, why my computer will run with absolutely no problems for a couple of weeks, then there's suddenly a problem(seems to be the same problem of slow computer, freezing,etc) then just as suddenly everything work fine again. If it's all due to not having enough ram space then one would think the problem would be continuous.

As for spending time in the spyware forum, that's true. However, there was one issue at the time, a trojan had been downloaded to my computer from what I thought was a safe site. That trojan was dealt with and still my computer had problems. Then just as suddenly about a week later everything ran fine until yesterday. Same symptoms with one added, pictures showing a red X box. No trojans.No other threat found. I'm not doing anything differently than I did the week before. No longer a spyware problem I would think but something else.

Thanks again, zep516.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try right clicking on the IE icon and selecting Run without Add-ons. If that makes a difference, close IE, then restart it normally. Go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab and click on the Reset button. You'll need to reinstall browser add-ons such as Flash, Shockwave and Acrobat Reader, but that can be done as needed.

Thank you for your suggestion, arraknid. There's no change. Even the advertisements that usually show at the top of Yahoo email accounts Inboxes have red X boxes and "Internet can not display the webpage". Sometimes if I click on "show picture" the picture will display but I have to manually do it to every red X box.

I was having alot of trouble with freezing, slow computer, etc and mentioned before that everytime I tried up update Windows by installing(at their prompting) the service 3-pack my computer would crash. So Windows remained not updated in that aspect.

When a box popped up suggesting to upgrade to Window Internet Explorer 8 I did so which not only immediately stopped the repeated prompts to install the service 3-pack but it allowed Windows to now update under the new Windows IE 8. The result was an immediate increase in speed and a complete elimination of all problems. That was a couple of weeks ago.

Then suddenly yesterday, red boxes and an extremely slow computer. I noticed too that Windows IE 8 has a Compatibility View feature which automatically adjusts when viewing sites that contain pictures. A box would appear below the Toolbar stating that that feature was being implemented in order to correct a viewing problem and that it was switching to Compatibility View. It no longer does that and where there should be pictures there are now only red X boxes.

I've checked that everything is updated and went through a whole list of things to check for if red X boxes appear and have done numerous scans for trojans,viruses,etc. None of it corrects the problem. I also tried ComboFix but can't seem to disable my Firewall,etc- it keeps saying there's still one Firewall enabled.

Blog Entries

Try a couple of things...

1. Clear your browser cache. Under tools, click on Delete browser history, then delete Temporary Internet Files and History.

2. Click on Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab and scroll down to the Multimedia section. Make sure Show Pictures is checked, and Show image download placeholders isn't.

To see whether the problem is IE related, try downloading another browser and see if the problem is still there - Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    To see whether the problem is IE related, try downloading another browser and see if the problem is still there - Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc.
    Sorry for the delay in replying but for the last several days I've been unable to use my computer . Because I was also unable to contact the very helpful people on this site I
    had to stumble along as best I could to try and discover how to correct the problem.

I was unable to install the Google Chrome browswer. For some reason it would not allow me to do so. I installed Opera and found that I was without any browser at all. A box popped up that said that Internet Explorer was unable to open and all that was left was the screen. No icons, no Start. Nothing.

I finally stumbled across System Recovery and it restored my computer to "factory settings" so much so that all prompts were as though my computer was brand new and just installed,etc. After going through numerous steps everything appeared as normal visually but my firewall, virus, etc protection had to all be re-installed and I'm coming across more and more things that are no longer operational , have to be updated or re-installed or are just plain gone. This morning I received a prompt, after updating Windows yesterday, that there are 39 updates for Windows alone to be installed today. I am currently going through that process.

As for my computer running better, it is still slow but not as slow as it was. It is having considerable trouble still with downloading pictures. IE, if I look up, say for some technical equipment on eBay, it will take me several hours to check out 6 items. It first says it's opening the page, one green box, and after a lengthy period, another green box, etc. Once it's done with the green boxes, the page still won't open because it now has to download each and every picture on that page before it even opens up the page. While it's doing that everything freezes and I can't click any button to get out of it. If I click on one item to open up the picture and information on it, it takes just as long to get back to the main page. I'm hoping things might improve when everything is finally updated. I checked with the service provider and he said the connection was fine and the speed was registering as fine. He couldn't explain as to why it was slow.

Thank you again for your help. It was much appreciated.

Blog Entries

This quick fix has just been released which may help. If it does, please let us know.

Click on Start, Run and paste the following in the text box, then OK.

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

Now restart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast