Default Unknown Device in XP Home Device Mgr...

I am running Windows Home SP 2 on a P4 Gatweway 3.4ghz 1.5gb RAM. Everthing was working fine until the other night I connected to the internet that stupi antivirus 2009 page popped up I immediately closed the window then lost my network and internet connection.

Ever since then I have not been able to get network connectivity back and my Network card is now showing as an unknown device in device manager. I have run AVG 8.5, malwarebytes, hijack this and smitfraud fix all to no avail. I have updated my BIOS, tried installing the latest drivers for the nic card and tried running the windows repair utility and also installed another nic card which also showed as an unknown device. I dont know what else to do...

Can anyone help?

Thank You.

See if this does anything.

Go to Start > Control Panel - If you are using Windows XP's Category View, select the Network and Internet Connections category. If you are in Classic View, go to the next step.

* Double-click the Network Connections icon.
    * Right-click the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties.
    * Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.
    * Be sure Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected.
    * OK your way out.

Go to Start > Run and type in cmd
    Click OK

* This will open a command prompt.
    * Type the following line in the command window:

ipconfig /flushdns (note the space between ipconfig and /)

* Press Enter on the keyboard.
    * Exit the command window

Restart your computer.

I have done that, there are no network connections displayed and if I try to run the setup wizard it fails. ipconfig does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I am running Windows Home SP 2 on a P4 Gatweway 3.4ghz 1.5gb RAM. Everthing was working fine until the other night I connected to the internet that stupi antivirus 2009 page popped up I immediately closed the window then lost my network and internet connection.
    I would imagine it got you, and the rest of your problems are a result of it.

We're gonna need a Hijack This log from the problem machine to confirm. If your unsure on how to supply one, post back.

You wont do any harm supplying a MalwareBytes log also, if you could please, again, post back if you need instructions.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just to add that if you ever encounter Antivirus 2009 again, just close your browser and clear the cache. Clicking any part of the window - even to close it, will infect your machine. To be completely safe, don't even pass your mouse pointer over the window, work your way around the outside.