Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The following file is missing or corrupt

I read the forum information about

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt C:\windows\system32\config\system

but it didn't match my problem exactly I think so I'd like to follow up.

I received the message when I had installed two PC133-256mb/CL3 memory cards in my Nec model PCVL3002D1K computer. My NEC motherboard model is G1AEFA

Previously I was using 1 128mb card and a 64mb card (I know it was wrong so thats why I upgraded). Now, when I first bought 1 256mb card and added it to the 128mb card and I received all types of blue screens and Page_Fault_In_NonPaged_Area messages. Then I used only the 1, 256mb memory card and things worked better but I stlll got random reboots and the blue screen occasionally. So I decided to buy the other 256mb card.

However, when I installed the two cards (256 + 256) I got

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    C:\windows\system32\config\system message. Funny thing is I did see the exact same message earlier in the day before I had bought and installed the 2nd 256mb card.

Anyway, thanks and I would appreciate any additional help you could offer. Biggest problem is that I don't have the original setup CD-ROM.
    I'm now using only one of the 256mb cards and I will try some of the ideas mentioned in the post
    Help2Go - free computer help and advice - C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

tothemack

Its not the size of the RAM modules (or cards as you refer to them) its the speed that causes problems.

Since the problems seemed to arrise from the addition, please try the following:

1. Remove all ram modules, taking note of static procedure, with the power OFF each time
    2. Insert 1 module into the first slot, and try booting the computer.
    3. Note the effect this has, then remove this module and insert it into slot 2 (Obviously shutting down and turning off the power each time!)
    4. Try this for each RAM module you have, one at a time, in each slot
    5. Post these results here

things that are usefull are:

• If the computer powered up at all
    • Any system 'Beeps' and the sequence (I.E 1 long, 2 short, 1 long, 2 short etc)
    • Which point the system fails
    • ANY error messages, no matter how trivial

This will let us know if its the RAM modules thats the problem, or an actual system file that has been corrupted

Default Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt C:\windows\s

Hello MrDarn, I appreciate your advice. I removed and replaced the modules as you suggested and in each case, when used seperately in the 1st and 2nd slots, the PC booted without incident, smoothly and quickly (about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes) & the PC ran normally.

I received no beeps until I installed both (256mb modules) together. I then got 1 long & 2 short beeps. The PC then turned on but the monitor didn't so I turned off the PC, unplugged & plugged in the monitor again & it turned on. The PC then rebooted slowly (more than 2 minutes) and the monitor was blank (black screen, but on) for over 10 minutes (yeah I waited that long to see if any change would happen). I then touched the power button and the PC shut down instantly. I rebooted the PC and after an average reboot I got the message (Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt C:\windows\system32\config\system) again.

After that I tried using a 256mb module and the 128mb module (was previously installed) together and got this message (Windows Registry Recovery message. one of the files containing the Systems Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or altetnative copy. The recovery was successful).

The PC then ran normally for a bit and then blue screened after about 20 minutes and said at the bottom Stop 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xBF805889, 0xF19B0614, 0x00000000) Win32K.sys_Adress BF805889 base at BF800000, DateStamp 49900fc9

I then rebooted and the PC ran normally without incident for quite some time and I checked the task manager which showed the CPU running at 100%. The processes taking up the most space was TeaTimer.exe at 73.436k and iexplore.exe at 42.516k as well as another iexplore.exe at 15.372k (I only had one internet explorer window open so unsure why there were 2 iexplore.exe running)

I then checked on what TeaTimer.exe is and found out it's connected to Spybot so I left it alone.

I then did a Spybot scan and went out for a bit while it scanned. It didn't find anything new. But after initially running Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes and Spybot and Trendmicro, I went from around 4.5gb of memory to 9.5gb in my C drive which is 19.5gb (it says that when I look at Local Disk (C total size) and yes, the PC is much faster.

Is it ok that I have Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Glary registary repair, Eusing free registry cleaner, and Belarc advisor installed on my PC?

I'm now using the 256mb module and the 128mb module, showing a total of 368mb of RAM in "MyComputer" properties. The 256mb module only reads at 240mb.

Well, thanks again for your help and I would appreciate any additional advice you could give me.

tothemack

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not quite sure where you are buying RAM from, but there's definitely something wrong with one of them - probably the first one you bought as that's when the problem started. There could also be a problem with one of the slots.

It's hard to discover the maximum amount of RAM you board will take, but I doubt it's 4gb as advised here. Your best bet is to go to Crucial and run the scanner to find out what you should be fitting.

Whatever is advised, don't be tempted to use the cheapest. RAM is the heart of your machine and should be the best you can afford. When fitting 2 sticks they should be bought as a matched pair.

Default adding RAM

Thanks a lot arraknid for your advice. I'm not sure if it's the slots because they both work fine with only one module installed in either. I also had installed a 64mb module by itself in slot 1 & then in slot 2 and the PC worked fine (slowly, but fine) without any reboots or messages.

I bought the modules at the same store, "PC Depot" in Japan, (I'm currently living in Japan). I've been doing a lot of research recently on upgrading my current PC and even building a PC from scratch. I'm now a little more knowledgeable about the in's and out's but still a beginner overall.

I had done a scan of my PC with Crucial and they didn't have my PC listed in their archive so they didn't give me a correct quote on my RAM max. I've found out from a different scanner that my current PC can hold 1GB total RAM. Still, I'm faced with the problem of even getting it to hold the 2 256gb modules I'm trying to install.

I mean, it works fine with just one 256mb module, it even works a bit with the one 256mb module and one 128mb module, but when I try to install the two 256mb modules it won't work.

What I actually wanna do is to just change the motherboard, & upgrade the CPU. I'm also looking into buying a new PC overall, but I tell ya, it's hard to get quality stuff over here without paying way too much for it.

I'll keep you posted on anything I find out and any changes I notice after I check out some other information.

tothemack

Blog Entries

Upgrading an old machine isn't a viable proposition. You'll end up replacing everything and the cost will probably be more than buying a new machine.

Replace the motherboard and you need to replace the processor ...then the cooling system ...then the power supply ...then the RAM ...etc, etc.

The RAM sticks are obviously incompatible, which is why you should always buy matched pairs. Even the same size and speed from 2 different manufacturers can be problematic. Additionally, even with the RAM you have, and despite what Microsoft tells you, XP needs an absolute minimum of 512mb to run properly and preferably 1gb.

I suggest you return the RAM and get a matched pair.

Default My memory my memory doesn't work

I agree, refurbishing my PC will be expensive, but I might give it a try.
    By the way, I'm not so sure what you mean by "matched pair". I bought both 256mb modules from the same store within a week of each other and they have the same labeling on them and also look identical, (now I don't know which one I bought first by looking).

So anyway, I got some interesting happenings in the last day or so. Main thing is that I'm trying to get my PC into a good working order and stop the random reboots and blue screens. That's why I wanna upgrade the RAM.

Doing some research on what I can and can't delete off my C: drive I mangaged to put a lot of stuff on my 1TB external drive like, movies, music, documents, spuninst (uninstall folders) folders and such, that were taking up over 5GB of space. Now my 19.5gb C: folder has 11.5gb of free space, (that's still small, and size of C: drive is quite small comparably, which is another reason why I might just keep upgrading, new motherboard, CPU, and so on, or just go ahead and by a new PC)

So on to the RAM.

Since my last post, I changed the 256mb module (B) for 256mb module (A) and I placed (A) into slot 1, and the 128mb module into slot 2. Upon reboot I got this message, "A driver corrupted pool memory used for holding pages for disk". Stop 0x000000DE (0x0000000Z, 0xE18A8008, 0xE18A8008,0x042D68C2) I then rebooted 3 times and got same message.

So, then I changed the positions of the modules putting 256mb module (A) into slot 2 and the 128mb module into slot 1. I rebooted, selected "start windows normally" and the PC loaded without incident in about 1 1/2 minutes.

However, at the time I'm writing this, I've gone back to using 1 of the 256mb modules (A) independently due to seeing this message on each reboot when using that combinatiion. "Windows Registry Recovery... one of the files containing the systems registry data had to be recovered by the use of a log or alternative copy. The recovery was successful".

I wish I could locate that log or alternative copy and install it properly. So now I'm back to trying to fix the (original) registry problem.

tothemack

Blog Entries

I'm not so sure what you mean by "matched pair". I bought both 256mb modules from the same store within a week of each other and they have the same labeling on them and also look identical, (now I don't know which one I bought first by looking).
    Matched RAM is bought in pairs. They are bench tested and matched in the factory and, in my experience, very rarely cause problems. This is what I use. They aren't cheap, but in the long run will save you loads. They also have a lifetime guarantee, so if one does fail, you ship both back and they replace with another pair - and they do!

What you bought were 2 sticks of the same make and model, and possibly low cost generic. That isn't the same thing.

Like I said previously, RAM is the heart of a computer - so fit the best you can afford.

Default more memory

Well, I'm hoping I didn't buy a cheap version of RAM because I paid about 5,000yen for each stick (about 50$ each). I'm gonna go back to the store and change them if I can, I have the receipts and warrenties. On the receipts they both say, SB-PC133-SH256J(PC133-256MB). On the sticks they both say PC133-256MB/CL3

For now, using the one 256mb module the PC is running fine, I've had it on for a few hours with no problems. I'm comtemplating just upgrading the motherboard, RAM and CPU for now. I gotta check on what board would fit in my case.

Thanks for all of your help and I'll let cha know how things go.

tothemack

Blog Entries

Sounds like generic, even at that price. This is pretty old stuff, so is usually quite cheap. Cost in the US would be $10, so you are paying way over the value. Remind me to steer clear of Japan!!

Running CL3 with your old stick will be problematic.

Have you tried buying off the internet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast