Default Wireless Connection Problem

Hi I have a HP compaq6715b. It is running Windows Vits and the Service Pack is 1. My problem is that I cannot get it to connect to a wireless network, even though it can see the valid wireless networks. When I try to connect to any wireless network, it says cannot connect and when I try to diagnose the problem it says it cant run Diagnostics Policy Service. When I try to manually start DPS, I get an error(1114: dll error). I'm lost, I have tried downloading Drivers from HP, a hotfix from Microsoft and still no joy. I have also run through HP's troubleshooting giuide. The wireless icon on the machine is on(lit blue) and is recognising that there are available wireless networks.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is this a new connection or has it connected previously but suddenly stopped working? What level of security is the connection using? Are you entering the required access key?

Default Unsecured

Never worked! I can connect to a wireless LAN in the office, but when I unplug that cable it cannot connect to the many totally wireless networks that are available. These are all unsecured networks and can be accessed by any laptop in the building.

I'd see your IT tech, as i've seen the same setup, but using MAC address security.

This means you can see the network, but if your MAC address is not on the list 'you aint getting in!' ...so to speak.

Your IT Dept will be able to sort this one for you.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These are all unsecured networks and can be accessed by any laptop in the building.
    I'm sure MrDarn is correct. It's unlikely that any organisation would have totally open networks. If they accessible to anyone in the building, they are also accessible to anyone outside!