Default Help with disc back-up ...

I will be getting a larger HDD soon. I NOW have Vista Home Premium SP1 (an upgrade disc ...) I currently only have an 80GB HDD - 74.5 is the readout! I will recieve a 320GB HDD in a couple of days from Newegg. In preparation, I FINALLY decided to run a back-up. I have gone thru almost THIRTY CD-R's!!! The back-up hasn't made it past half way yet!!! I realize that I have quite a large music collection, but this seems UNREAL. I have applied the 'duplicate cleaner' program, and that located around 1000 duplicate folders, and I subsequently deleted and moved to recycle bin.

Is there something I might be missing, because I only have about 15 more discs left. My sister ran a disc backup on her computer, and it only took three discs ... but she only had a lot of pictures and little music to store.

Another thing ... when I get this HDD, I plan to run 'Killdisc on this smaller drive. I will place the larger as the 'master' drive and use this as the 'slave' drive. Is that necessary, or can the smaller drive be the master, and the larger drive as the slave?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You'd be better off buying an external drive with backup software. Using multiple disks really isn't that ideal - fine for copying off individual files, but that isn't going to help much if you need to restore a corrupted system. Also, using CD-R's means that each time you want to do a back up, you'll need more CD's. In a years time, you could end up with 100 CD's! Imagine trying to find a file!

If the smaller drive is in good condition, use it for the operating system, and the larger one for files. My set up has the operating system on a small partition, and all other disks are partitioned and labelled for specific files. One partition has all programs installed on it - they don't need to be on the same drive as the OS, and others are dedicated to music, video, documents, etc. That way, if the OS crashes, the files stay intact.

In case a drive fails, there is a back up sytem that copies disk images to external drives nightly. If your files are precious to you, a small investment, comparatively, will save you loads of time, stress and money!

Once again, Arraknid, you've been a GREAT help!!! I am not too sure about the partitioning stuff, but I think that when the larger HDD get's here, all I have to do is pop the hood and bolt the chassis in and plug 'er in and fire it up!!!

So, your saying I should just keep my OS the way it is on the little HDD-that's how I take it, anyhow. I think I know how to transfer files from the small to the large HDD ...fairly simple 'drag and drop' type procedure, right?

At the rate I was going, I would have had 100 CD-R's burnt in a week!!! Since I already have the internal HDD on the way, I can consider an external a little later.

Once again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Once the new HD is installed, click on Start, Run and type the following into the text box...

diskmgmt.msc

That will open the Disk Manager which will allow you to partition the drive and add names. The following references may also help...

Disk Management
    Using Disk Management to Manage Hard Drives - PC Hardware - Find Free Computer Help Tips Online
    How to use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP

BTW, Arraknid - I NOW have Vista Home Premium SP1 (an upgrade disc ...) The links look great and are informative, but some actions WON'T apply to Vista ...

Blog Entries

Actually, Disk Management is the same in both Vista and XP. The only difference is that the Actions (accessed by right click in XP) are shown in a separate window in Vista.

Good luck.

if you want to do disk backup then you could consider buying a external bluewray burner "you can get a good deal on tigerdirect" and you can just backup to the bluewray disk " they can hold around 30 or so gigabites" and you wont have to deal with a lot of disks. But note only do this option if money is no object.