Default Dell Inspiron 1545 query

Hi, I have the above laptop. It's only a month old. Yesterday when I was using it on my lap I noticed it was getting hot and realised I hadn't heard the whooshing sound coming out of the side that keeps it cool.

Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence with this laptop? If so, at least I know it's not just mine. Maybe someone knows a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Jaceyw

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That model doesn't have a history of overheating and, as it's only a month old, it's unlikely the fan is clogged with dust and crap. You don't say which processor you have installed, but if it's the Celeron, that runs cool anyway, The dual core will run hotter, but only under extreme load, as in video rendering, etc.

The inherent design of a laptop is that it's built around a lightweight metal frame which acts as a heatsink dissipating heat to the atmosphere. That means it gets hot, which you'd notice having it on your lap. That is quite normal. Just be aware that blocking the intake grill on the base may cause problems. You are better using on a flat surface or on a lap pad.

If you notice that the machine is shutting down suddenly, that may indicate overheating and examination of the fans may be necessary. Try running multiple programs together and see if the fan kicks in.

Thanks Arraknid. I will try running a few programmes together and see what happens. I don't know which processor is installed to be honest. I have Windows Vista if that's what you mean? Anyway will give the multiple programmes a go. Many thanks again. Jaceyw