Thread: Dell Mini

Default Dell Mini

In January, I gave my son a Inspiron 910. Two weeks ago he says is not working.
    When turned on , a message states, "no operating system found".
    I go to BIOS and it sure is recognized (the SSD drive- STEC PATA 8GB). Just to test the fact, I removed the SSD, reboot and the BIOS stated no HDD. Reinserted the thing.reboot. There it was , again.

I m tring to boot from a pen drive (yes, BIOS does let me boot from USB and Removable media, who knew!) with win98 EBD , but when I ran fdisk command and after changing disk ( it named the pen drive as C In fdsk menu >change disk...there it was! 8GB of nothing. I tried to create partition But then it states "No space available." so WTF...

Some one tell me what going on.

As I write (and hpoefully someone answers), I will format pen drive using HP USB flash drive formater program
    (this is because it gives the user the choice of formating in FAT, FAT 32 or NTFS format), I will try NTFS then work down to FAT to then:
    1.copy win98 EBD or equivalent to at least boot and then "define" partitions.
    2.If failed install "techworm" boot disk files and try again in the pen drive
    3. If some one tells me what files are neede from the XP recovery disk to at least partition or recover files from the SSD
    4. get a external cd rom (USB) and see if this do the trick. I leave it for last because ,no pain no glory!

Anyway, some one else might learn a thing or two with my story...
    So if we all ready;"Red alert!, all hands to battle stations" Q'plah...

Wednesday, April 01, 2009
    9:02:16
    Captn's Log
    I lost comunication with Help2Go formus some min ago..this is a record a the log i was preparing as an update..
    thebattle is not going well.. the pendrive was formated in NTFS then Fat 32 I installed common boot files in both instances in the ntfs method a message stated NTLR missing
    in fat 32 stated invalid disk...
    I have installed ntfs2dos reader program to no avail...
    Im about to go to option 2...Evasive manuever techworm1... brace for imapct!!!
    9:10:15
    suplemental
    i found this old comunique in the subspace comunications buffer(internet) it looks like im not the only one Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Review
    9:24:10 AM
    suplemental
    I reformated pen Drive to fat32 then copy files for win98 boot disk then instaled ntfs2dos reader.
    I was able to boot then launch reader. I t does not give me new info it only proves the SSD is there ...space here is unallocated

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When turned on , a message states, "no operating system found".
    I go to BIOS and it sure is recognized (the SSD drive- STEC PATA 8GB). Just to test the fact, I removed the SSD, reboot and the BIOS stated no HDD. Reinserted the thing.reboot. There it was , again.
    What BIOS was recognising was the presence of the solid state 'hard drive'. That isn't the operating system! The OS was contained on that drive. I say 'was' because you probably just wiped it! Using FDisk was not the way to go. That's old technology and isn't necessary - especially on a Dell. They have well proven methods of recovery.

The Dell Mini, like all Netbooks, doesn't have a CD drive, which is why you can boot from a flashdrive.

Rather than trying to fix the problem yourself, let Dell sort it out. They have a helpline to talk you through the recovery process, and will often collect, repair and deliver back.

Any intervention on your part could well leave you with no guarantee, so be wary.

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    What BIOS was recognising was the presence of the solid state 'hard drive'. That isn't the operating system! The OS was contained on that drive. I say 'was' because you probably just wiped it! Using FDisk was not the way to go. That's old technology and isn't necessary - especially on a Dell. They have well proven methods of recovery.

The Dell Mini, like all Netbooks, doesn't have a CD drive, which is why you can boot from a flashdrive.

Rather than trying to fix the problem yourself, let Dell sort it out. They have a helpline to talk you through the recovery process, and will often collect, repair and deliver back.

Any intervention on your part could well leave you with no guarantee, so be wary.
    Dell Support...this is what they told me... ejem
    "get a external cd drive to install the OS..."
    why will they say to get the ext cd if there is NO place in the SSD drive to place the temp file that will be created?, since the HD is there , as you and I understand, but without a partition nothing nada, it just one day simply leave this existence (EM disturnbance?, maybe) the point: the HD is there with no partitions..unless youre going to tell me the cd uses my ram as a temp driver to install the files needed I see no use for the ext cd. But what I see is a delay scheem for Dell to not honor my warranty, but that remains to be seen....is not like didnt happen before Dell lawsuit

Blog Entries

If you have an installation CD, use another computer to copy it's contents to a flashdrive, then boot from it. Once the process is started, the SSD will be formatted to form a single partition. You'll be given the opportunity to specify the partition size. If you want to create a second partition later, specify a portion of the 8GB, leaving the rest unallocated. That can be further partitioned later using XP's Disk Manager.

From that point on, the installation will continue to completion.

Captn's Log
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009
    6:40:41 PM

I finally got to last option. I spent 20 dollars in a cable converter and now I find my self able to use any internal IDE device as external USB device So I did that and tried to install OS friom CD ... it didnt finish, for the SSD is beyond repair to make matters worst SMART tech from the SSD informs me that a WARP CORE BREECH in INMINENT. I have sadly given the order ; "Abandon ship" Wwe will Wait in our escape pods for th USS DELL tech to find us in time...rescueing us.
    She was a good Mini we barely knew her....

Dell tech swoed up yesterday. He bropught the SSD installed ( unscrew 4 screws) and left installed . I just had to install software...
    So we are back in bussuness.

Captn's Log
    Saturday, April 04, 2009
    22:43pm

Scotty resume full power lower shields.

Glad it's working....

zep
    Last edited by zep516; 04-04-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Dell tech swoed up yesterday. He brought the SSD installed ( unscrew 4 screws) and left installed . I just had to install software...
    So we are back in bussuness.
    Say what you like about Dell - and we do, a lot, you can't argue with that service. Mind you, when the warranty period is over, you're on your own.

Well I admit it was faster than expected.
    I for one hand I'm very skeptical any megacorp's.
    Yes I know. Now service will be available no just for free. Even thought it was not free I paid for it.