Default Find and save all XP Pro Updates.

I recently had a new computer built and passed my old one down to my wife and hers to our daughter and her husband which should be updated.

They have Dial Up and you know how that goes in downloading. I can find all of the updates for Windows 95, but a search wasn't able to do the same for Windows XP Pro.

Does anyone know where I could find all of the XP Pro updates to date that could be saved to a disc or a flash drive? This would be a whole lot easier than hauling it to my house, disconnecting one of our computers and connecting theirs and then reversing the procedure.

I also hope to keep our XP systems going for as long as possible since it works just fine for us and as a retiree, I don't have the resources to buy three copies of the newest version. The economy has affected us too.

Thank You

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Hisson,

What Service Pack is currently on the XP machine? If you aren't sure, right click My Computer and select Properties. It'll tell you under System on the General tab.

arraknid,

Since this is the computer passed on to my daughter I don't have immediate access. I'm pretty sure that it is SP2 though.

Would I be correct in taking a guess from your question and what I think I know that if it has SP3, it would have all of the latest updates?

Even if it had SP3, I would still be interested in having a copy of these updates backed up somewhere. Sometime soon MS will no longer be supporting XP and I would like to have the updates available for future use.

An additional advantage of course would be the ability to install them without having to first download them.

I have to ask. Are you really in France? I've never really been able to take for granted how easy it is to communicate all over the world via the internet. The novely hasn't worn off yet.

Many Thanks

Blog Entries

If you want to move up to SP3, you can download the redistibutable package via a fast connection, burn to a CD or save to a flashdrive, then run it in the other machine.

The link is here. Click on Download. Be aware that the file is very large - over 300mb, so it'll take time to download.

A further word of warning.... there have been numerous cases of problems appearing after SP3 has been installed, so much so, that most of us stick to SP2. If that does happen, it can be uninstalled using Add or Remove Programs.

Yes I am in France. Other contributors on this site are based in Canada, USA, UK and Australia to name but a few. Makes the world a much smaller place.

Good luck.

EDIT>>>>> I should add that you'll still need to run Windows Update for updates released since SP3 was released.
    Last edited by arraknid; 04-02-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks arraknid. I'm thinking that what I'm looking for is not available because of Microsoft's tight control on their products. but that's another subject.

I appreciate the caveat about SP3. I deliberated a long time before loading in on mine and my wifes computer. Fortunately we had no problems.

I'm thinking I will just have my daughter bring her computer to my house and I'll hook it up here and download all of the MS and other updates needed.

I'm guessing that after MS stops supporting XP, there will be someone far more computer savvy than I who will put all of the updates together in one place for download or purchase on a disc.

Best Regards To You And Yours.

Blog Entries

SP3 is the collection of updates you are searching for. It contains all cumulative patches and Windows updates released since the introduction of XP up to the date of SP3 release - hence to need to download all releases since then.

Windows updates will never be available from any other source. They are copyright protected and MS make sure they stay that way.

I've got it saved to my computer and will copy it to some other media for permanent backup.

BTW, my heritage is 1/4 French on my Dad's side. Either my great grandfather or great, great, grandfather was from Alsace-Lorraine.

Thanks again for your kind help.

Blog Entries

I think if it was that long ago, that region was in German hands. It's switched back and forth 2 or 3 times.

Good luck.