Default Trouble Backing-up with Linux LIVE CD

Hi,

I'm new to help2go. My computer won't start Windows XP because I'm getting an error that a file is missing or corrupt. The exact error instructs me to repair or re-install the following file: <Windows root>\System 32\hal.dll. I also get a second error saying that hard drive failure is imminent, and that I should back-up the drive and replace it.

After reading steamwiz' tutorial, "How to recover files from an unbootable/dead computer," I burned a copy of Knoppix on a friend's computer (KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-EN.iso) and used that to boot. The problem I'm having is that after the Linux desktop loads, I don't know how to access the C drive on my computer so I can back-up my files. The tutorial indicates that I should be able to see an icon for my USB drive and hard drive, but I only see the icon for my flash drive. I tried navigating through the file management system, but I still can't find my hard drive.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how I'm supposed to locate the c drive using the Knoppix software? I'll greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!

-Luis

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Luis,

One of the reasons Knoppix is so good for data recovery is that it automatically detects installed hardware when booted, and displays icons on the desktop. The fact that you see your flashdrive indicates that the system is working. Unfortunately, the fact that you don't see an icon for your hard drive means that it wasn't detected and isn't accessible.

One of the many causes of a hal.dll error is a failed hard drive, and that appears to be what's happened with yours. The bad news is you won't be able to rescue any of your files, so hopefully you didn't lose anything really important.

Not that it helps much now, but in the future you should consider having an external drive dedicated to backing up your system. Costwise, it isn't an expensive option, and will save a lot of frustration.

Good luck.

Thank you, arraknid.

If I replace the failed hard drive with a new one, will that allow me to start fresh or will I need a totally new computer?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, replacing the drive should be fine. The only proviso to that is when the damage is caused by external forces like electrical surges or lightning strikes, which can also damage the motherboard. That's a very rare occurrence, so go for it.

Just make sure you order the same sort of drive, IDE or SATA. An IDE drive is connected with a flat ribbon cable a couple of inches wide, and a SATA drive connects using a small round or flat cable around inch wide.

pbaatrsl's post has been moved to it's own topic Here

for future reference please make new topics for your problems they'll get looked into faster
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone