Default How do i use the acer erecovery to reformat to factory default

hello, everyone. i am kinda new to this site. i am having a problem with my cd/dvd drive, it just wouldn't work. i have tried deleting the upper and lower filters, i believe that worked for a while but then it went bad again. i can't find the icon in my computer, it's not showing in the device manager. so right now i am thinking of reformatting the system to the factory default cause i suspect some missing driver as the source of the problem. that brings me to another problem. i can't back my files up with a cd rom for obviouse reason. i have a flash drive but it's just 2GB and can only containe some of my most important files. so do you think it's possible to send all my important files to the /D: drive and do the restore since the restore does not affect that drive. will my files be safe there? or is there any other way i can do the restore without a backup cd or drive.

Hi,

silverbrains

try this

Click here http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs, and download to your desktop. Then double click the file, confirm addition to the registry, and restart the computer.

thanks a lot zep for your reply. i forgot to mention that i use vista home basic in my laptop. i was just hopping you could help me a little better with a bit of explanation of what tht link is expected to do for my system. can i trust it? thanks again fred. looking forward to your reply.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Fred,

The link is to a script that will automatically remove upper and lower filters without the necessity to enter the registry, but as you've already done that, it's probably redundant. If it worked for a short while previously, why not give it another shot. It may give you enough time to save your files.

If you do need to use the recovery partition, first check that there's sufficient space. Manufacturers tend to create a partition that is just the right size plus a small percentage. If you have the space, create a folder and copy your files to it.

Another option would be to purchase a larger flashdrive!

thank you arraknid. i believe i have got enough space in my partitioned drive (about 19 Gb) to at least save my important files. so i would have to do the restore by storing my files there. that brings me to another question. do you know the programmes that my laptop is likely to restore onto my C: drive after formatting? would it reinstall my windows media player and other windows programmes? i hope i get an answer for these. thanks again.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All Windows programs, but the rest depend on what's contained on the recovery partition.

agian thanks guru. i'll keep u posted on how far i go, and probably come back to thank you again.