Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer error

Default Computer error

On our other computer they recieved a windowsroot/system32/hal.dll and that its corrupt. All it was doing was bringing you to that black screen and not letting you do anything. We reinstalled windows xp and now that screen is gone but when you go to sign in there is nothing in the startup menu on the desktop. I cant connect to the internet and everything is in larger fonts. If you guys can help that would be awesome. I am totally lost.

Thanks, Joe

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try this...

Click on Start, Run and type the following into the text box, then click on OK and restart...

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Does that make a difference?

It says shell.dll is not executable file and no registration helper is registered. Lmk what you think.

Blog Entries

The instruction says shell32.dll not shell.dll. You need to be exact.

Yea, I forgot to write the 32 in there. I tried the method and it is still the same as before. The start up desktop page has absolutley nothing on it besides recycle bin. I can get to explorer now through the start in the bottom left. The only thing I cant do is connect to the internet. Any tips on re-setting our modem to it and what is wrong with this? I really appericate your help.

Blog Entries

OK, you don't have a problem at all. What you are looking at is exactly right after doing a reinstall - an empty desktop, green fields and a recycle bin.

You description intimated that you were seeing nothing on the Start menu, which is what pops up when you click on the Start button.

What you now have is the first stage of a reinstall completed. The next stage is to reinstall all drivers. That'll include video - which will allow you to change screen resolution and text size, the network adapter - to allow internet access, then audio, etc.

Then you need to install all software and drivers for peripherals like printer, scanner, etc which you should have disks for.

It sounds as though you bought a machine with everything pre-installed, which probably means you have a second disk containing all of the above. If so, just run it. If not, you'll need to download from the manufacturer's website.

If that's the case, let us know what make and model you have and we'll find you a link.

Whatever you have in your All Programs list can be started from your desktop. Simply right click on the application entry, move down to Send to... and select Desktop (create a shortcut). That'll place an icon on the desktop.

Arra,I got online again. Thanks. The machine is a dell 1501 inspiron. One quick question. After reading your post pretty much I have to send things to the desktop and it will not be there automatically unless I do so. Next, when I put the disk in to reinstall the drivers I had to extract them and reboot them. It didnt do it automatically. How do I know if everything is downloaded? thanks

Blog Entries

As you install your software and applications, you'll be given the choice to place a shortcut on the desktop. As for things like Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer and other Windows applications, that's something you need to do yourself.

If you open Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the Run box and click on OK), look down the list and see if there's anything marked with a yellow exclamation mark. That means the drivers haven't been installed for that device.

Thanks. The only other problem we have now is everytime we start the computer it asks us do you want to repair or go to microsoft xp and you have 30 seconds to decide. If you dont pick it takes you right to the sign in screen. If you hit microsoft xp it takes you to the sign in screen. How do we get rid of that.

Lastly, is there anyway to recover files from before the reinstallation? thanks

Blog Entries

OK, you have Recovery Console installed which is actually a good thing for future use! You are looking at the Boot Manager which gives you 30 seconds to choose what you want to boot to. In your case, the best thing to do is reduce the time on screen.

Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab then the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. You'll see 2 options under the top window. Make sure they are both checked and then change the first one to 3 seconds. Leave the second at 30 seconds. Click on OK and OK again.

Now when the machine boots you'll only see that boot selection for 3 seconds, which is long enough to make an alternative selection if necessary.

There is software available, but it isn't free. I use Easy Recovery Pro, but I can justify the expense. Free recovery software will usually only recover recently deleted files, whereas the professional software will recover files, even after reformatting the hard drive - which is what happens on a new install.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast