Default XP Logging on then logging right back off

I have developed a problem with my Dell XPsp2 machine. When I start the computer, it logs on to one of 4 different log on identities, but it immediately logs back off. When I insert my Windows XP disk to try and correct the problem it won't automatically start running and I can't get it running by any other means.

Please help me!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What you describe is often the result of a corrupted userinit.exe file or its registry entry. That is the file that loads your personal settings at startup - which just happens to be the time the machine is rebooting. It could have been corrupted under normal operating conditions or by malware.

Go here and follow the manual method of restoring the registry. You will need an XP disk - any version will do, so if you don't have one, try to borrow one.

To boot from your CD you need to change the Boot Priority settings in BIOS (Press F2 or Del key at boot), or press the F8 key at boot and select your CD drive.

Default I still need help!

Thanks for the reply...The only key that will respond is the F8 key and when I push it on restart I get the following options. I have tried these options and none of them will start the CD drive to allow me to boot with my XP disk.

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
    Enable VGA Mode
    Last Known Good Configuration(your most recent settings that worked)
    Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
    Debugging Mode
    Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
    Reboot
    Return to OS Choice Menu

Blog Entries

I'm guessing you need to hit the Del key at boot up. Look at the base of the Dell screen at startup. There should be a reference to change settings or enter Setup.

This will explain further.

Thanks again for the response. I finally got my XP disk to run, but when I choose the repair option, the disk asks for my administrator password. I have not put any passwords in place so what would the administrator password be?

Blog Entries

Just ignore it and hit Enter.

Default Still Having Problems

I did what you suggested (hit the enter key when prompted for an administrator password), and I get the following prompt: C:\WINDOWS>
    If I hit enter there I keep getting the same prompt.

Blog Entries

That's because it's waiting for you to type something. Go to the article I linked you to and continue from point 4 of Part 1 in the Manual steps to recover a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting section.