Default What motherboard can I use?

Iím thinking of changing my motherboard. I did a Belarc advisor scan and found out that my pc is a NEC PC-VL3002D1K Enclosure Type: Space-saving. My motherboard is a NEC G1AEFA A Bus Clock: 200 megahertz BIOS: NEC P6.00/202A0700 12/17/2001 The thing Iím not sure about is the size of the replacement motherboard I can buy as far as length & width (if that matters). Is there anyway to check for comparable sized motherboards?

Iíd like to change the motherboard so that I can use the DDR2 RAM instead of the SDRAM my current motherboard uses. I have two 256mb RAM modules installed now but the pc only reads 496mb installed. (is that normal for the pc to show less than whatís installed?) I also want to be able to use my PC to watch TV so Iíd like to install better graphics and sound.

My hard drive is MAXTOR 4K060H3 (60.04 GB) with 20.97 GB in the C: drive (12.15 GB free) and 39.05 GB in the D: drive (38.19 GB free). Can I use the D: drive to store stuff? If I change the motherboard, will my hard drive still keep the information it has installed on it? Do I need to change the hard drive if I change the motherboard? Should I change the hard drive?

My CPU is a 950 megahertz AMD Athlon, 128 kilobyte primary memory cache, 64 kilobyte secondary memory cache. Do I need to change the CPU if I change the motherboard?

Iím just considering some options. My PC still reboots randomly which is quite irritating. Iíve got ad aware, malwarebytes, windows malicious software remover and spybot installed. . (do you think I should invest in better PC protection, if so, do you have any suggestions?)

I might just leave the current PC the way it is and buy a new one altogether. Iíd really appreciate any help you could give me.

tothemack

tothmack,

Your pc protection looks ok,

The rules are:

1 Anti Virus program running.

1 Firewall program running.

1 Spyware Program running.

I will let someone else address the other questions about mother board, I will add this If you keep the AMD processor you need a mother board with Socket type A.

About the reboot issue, do you have SP3 installed? Service pack 3 and AMD processor can be an issue something about Intell driver installed w/SP3.. See link and stay tuned.

Does your AMD-based computer boot after installing XP SP3? - Jesper's Blog

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi tothemack,

As advised in your other post, refurbishing your current machine is really a non-starter. That system is close to 10 years old and isn't worth the effort. For starters, if you wanted to keep the processor, which is very slow and probably a bit tired, you'd need a motherboard that will accommodate it, and they haven't been made for years. Modern boards may be designated Socket A or 462, but they are built for modern, multicore, fast processors. Even if you were able to fit the old one, the system would fall over at the first boot up. The bottom line is, you'd have to replace virtually every item in the case, and the easiest and cheapest way to do that is buy new.

You can retain your existing hard drive, but it will also be slow compared to new ones. Best thing is to either install it as a slave drive in a new machine which will give you access to your files, or fit it into an external housing and use a USB cable to connect it. You'd need to find either an IDE/PATA compatible enclosure, or use an adapter to fit it into the new machine. That's because virtually all new machines use SATA hard drives which use different connections. Once the files are transferred, put the old HD back in the old machine and you have a backup computer.

The reason your machine only shows 496mb instead of 512 is that 16mb is being used by your graphics card which has no memory cache of its own.

Hope that helps.

Default My my motherboard

Great advice!! Thank you. I will leave well enough alone. My current PC is working fine now (for the moment, at least) and I think things might go smoothly. I ran windows live one care the other day and I havent had a problem since.

What I will do now is to empty the other old PC case I have and use the case to build another computer. I will holla back if I run into any problems. I'll try an SSD drive and UBUNTU on that PC.

Thanks again.

tothemack

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know where we are.