Question computer hardware

Can someone please advise me? I've been given some ex-school computers, they're slimline. I need to get some new graphics cards for them...I think? But I don't know how to calculate the size of the cards. The machines are not the average size 'towers' & therefore the hardware inside is smaller. Can anyone please advise me, is there a certain dimension or code or size I have to ask for? Thank you.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You need to look for low profile video cards. Some examples here.

Thanx arraknid. Please can you advise also...if I need to get any other hardware for the same computers (which I may well have to), do I always ask or look for 'low profile half height' hardware?

Blog Entries

Only if you are looking for PCI or PCI Express cards. All other hardware is standard size.

Default PCI cards

Hi Arraknid

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your help & support. Please forgive my ignorance but, please can you tell me the difference between PCI and PCI express? I'm not really thick...just a bit uneducated...(I think 'dumb' is the common expression for people like me)! Thanks.

Blog Entries

One great advantage a PC has over a laptop is the ability to add hardware in the form of plug in cards. That can include modems, audio cards, network cards, wifi cards, etc. There are slots on the motherboard to accommodate them and are called PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) connectors. Similarly, modern plug-in video cards use the same system, but as they need more connections, the slot is larger, and is called a PCI Express connector. PCI Express video cards work much faster than the older cards that used an AGP connector.

This link explains more - with pictures!