Default Vista Operating system

Can someone please advise? I've been told Windows XP Home Edition is now obsolete & that I'd need to get vista? I presently have XP Home Edition on my computer but I need to replace it. If I purchased 'Microsoft Windows Vista
    Home Basic Upgrade with Service Pack 1', would I be able to install it on top of windows xp home edition & if so would it automatically format the hard drive and remove XP home edition & replace it with Microsoft Windows Vista
    Home Basic Upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Khrizie View Post
    Can someone please advise? I've been told Windows XP Home Edition is now obsolete & that I'd need to get vista?
    Not strictly true, Windows XP is still a valid platform. Who told you you need to get vista?

Quote Originally Posted by Khrizie View Post
    I presently have XP Home Edition on my computer but I need to replace it. If I purchased 'Microsoft Windows Vista
    Home Basic Upgrade with Service Pack 1', would I be able to install it on top of windows xp home edition & if so would it automatically format the hard drive and remove XP home edition & replace it with Microsoft Windows Vista
    Home Basic Upgrade?
    Basically yes, but if your happy with XP, keep it.

If your wanting to upgrade, i'd wait till the release of Windows 7.

Xp will be more than adequate till then.

Feel free to await other members opinions...

Thank you MrDarn. The problem being, my hard drive is rather suffocated with junk, spyware I think? It's running really really slow and keeps messing up so I ideally need to format the hard drive but I can't afford XP Home edition (which I'm told by a computer supplier that it is obsolete & only XP Pro is available) and so maybe I need to refer to Vista upgrade, hence the queston 'can I do this'. Do we know when windows 7 is coming out? Not that I can afford it!!!

I would look at an OEM version of XP if your wanting a new version.

What is installed at the moment?

if its xp, do you have a recovery disk?

if not, let me know the make and model number of your PC, and i may be able to point you in the direction of a cheeper recovery disk.

Have you tried spending some time cleaning up the pc?

Unless its something harsh thats infecting it, it should be cleanable.

Why not post a HijackThis log and see what the in house techs think?

Is this the same PC you got from the school? or the laptop you've been having trouble with?