Default Shutting down 'puter!!!

Does it harm the computer when I log off without closing ISP or windows 1st? Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That depends on how you are logging off. If you use the usual Start, Turn off computer then select Turn off, all open programs and windows will be closed down by the system before shutting down.

The same thing will happen if you have the Start button on the computer case set up to turn off the system as well as start it.

Using Standby is a short term shut down designed for laptops to save battery power, and maintains all open programs and windows in RAM memory.

Hibernate is a long-term alternative to Standby and uses a portion of the hard drive to store all open programs and windows, allowing a full shut down. On Startup, all of those programs and windows are transferred from the hard drive to the RAM memory, and appear as they were when the machine was put into hibernation.

Something not to be done on a regular basis, if at all, is to simply switch the machine off - either by a switch on the machine or a wall socket. That will shorten the life of components, cause data loss and may result in the machine not starting up.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    That depends on how you are logging off. If you use the usual Start, Turn off computer then select Turn off, all open programs and windows will be closed down by the system before shutting down.

The same thing will happen if you have the Start button on the computer case set up to turn off the system as well as start it.

Using Standby is a short term shut down designed for laptops to save battery power, and maintains all open programs and windows in RAM memory.

Hibernate is a long-term alternative to Standby and uses a portion of the hard drive to store all open programs and windows, allowing a full shut down. On Startup, all of those programs and windows are transferred from the hard drive to the RAM memory, and appear as they were when the machine was put into hibernation.

Something not to be done on a regular basis, if at all, is to simply switch the machine off - either by a switch on the machine or a wall socket. That will shorten the life of components, cause data loss and may result in the machine not starting up.
    Just a What If; Normally I do close all windows,exit ISP,click start button,scroll to the right,click shut down. Then just close laptop. Glad I asked!!! I think of what if's, alot. The functions/definitions above have answered questios you did'nt give me time to ask. Thanks!!!

P.S. Sorry about the quote just under the original! Not sure what I was thinking!!!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"