Default problems UPDATING!!!

Upon checking for updates, I accessed view available Updates, checked the ones labeled important/recommended, & clicked install.
    Got to 6th update out of 9, computer took 3hrs., seemed like it was in limbo, so I stopped installation, checked to see which did download. Tried to install again after restart & configurations of those that did. Got to configurations, fell asleep,woke up this AM, computer still configuring 1 of 1, same as when I fell asleep. POWERED OFF. RESTARTED.
    Now I have 2 icons on desktop. Click 1st icon I get this;

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799

Click 2nd icon I get this;

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183
    [LocalizedFileNames]
    Windows Update.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\wucltux.dll,-1
    Wordpad.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-22069
    Windows Photo Gallery.lnk=@%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Gallery\PhotoLibraryResources.dll,-1581
    Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\System32\AuthFWGP.dll,-20
    Windows Firewall with Advanced Security (2).lnk=@%SystemRoot%\System32\AuthFWGP.dll,-20

When I click delete on both; tells me; If I remove this file Windows or another program might no longer work.

All but this is downloaded:
    Windows Vista: Malicious Software Removal Tool-Aprli 2009 (KB 890830)

What do I do, if any thing? Usually will download at later date, but time consuming. That,s why I let it download while I'm sleeping. But , then there is a possibility that it will get stuck in limbo like last night and I have to start the process all over again! AAGH!!! Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do a System Restore to the day before and then just let Windows AutoUpdate handle things. Why did you go direct to the WU website?

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    Do a System Restore to the day before and then just let Windows AutoUpdate handle things. Why did you go direct to the WU website?
    Sorry, did'nt clearify well. Clicked W.U. icon on desktop to see what updates were available, then checked the ones that were not optional.
    Did not go to Website itself.
    If I let AutoUpdate do it on it's own, will I get unnecessary updates that will crowd the system??? I usually just let everything update. Better reset my settings for Auto till I can understand better,right? Thanks arraknid!

P.S. View available updates is an option just under the INSTALL button.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Being able to review the available updates is useful, as long as you know what you want and dont want. As a general guide, sticking to critical updates will suffice. Personally, having the AutoUpdate icon constantly popping up insisting I restart the computer is a pain in the proverbial!

All of my machines have the AutoUpdate turned off, and I pay a visit to the website once a week for just the Critical updates, though I would add that this isn't recommended unless you know what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    Being able to review the available updates is useful, as long as you know what you want and dont want. As a general guide, sticking to critical updates will suffice. Personally, having the AutoUpdate icon constantly popping up insisting I restart the computer is a pain in the proverbial!

All of my machines have the AutoUpdate turned off, and I pay a visit to the website once a week for just the Critical updates, though I would add that this isn't recommended unless you know what you're doing.
    Exactly!!!! I used to Update all updates no matter what it was. Then someone told me that I could be Updating stuff I don't need, slowing my system down. IS THIS TRUE???

So, I turned off AutoUpdate and started trying to learn about the updates that were available, by clicking icon on desktop,then clicking "Review Available Updates" just under the Install button. This opens up a window that shows all avail. updates, & whether they are Optional, Important, or Recommended. I always check the Important and Recommended ones. I assume the Optionals won't interfere with system function. I have no idea what I want & don't want.But, if it looks like something associated with the programs I have accessed and recognized, I will check and download. (Please! Correct me if I'm doing wrong.)

I don't go to the website. When the icon shows up in the taskbar, I access from there. Or just R-click D-TOP icon. These are Updates recommended by the publishers,right!! If so, I would like entrust that they are'nt unnecessary.
    As above(_)...
    Donna