Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default computer turns self on??? UPDATES,TOO!

How can a computer turn itself on? I watched the lites go out myself before I closed laptop. Come back 3 hrs later and it's turned on and requesting me to not unplug or shut down while downloading 1 of 1 update!!!
    I have AutoUpdate turned off. It was plugged in and charging. Can't recall ever having this happen when it was unplugged! Weird!
    Last edited by DonnaB; 04-27-2009 at 07:18 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Member Help2Go Moderator

WOL (wake on lan) could be enabled on your computer which would turn the computer on if there's activity on the LAN card.

I've looked up LAN card on Google. > wiseGeek provided this;

Local Area Network (LAN) card is used to provide wireless Internet access to computer users in home or roaming networks. It works by exchanging signals with a router, which transmits the signals over a physically wired line.

Must be a factory option. I pick up many wireless. Most are only local access. But, one I have checked to pick up when in range, which is all the time! I s this the reason. Should I un-enable this feature. Or am I wrong on this assumption? Thanks!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Having your laptop automatically connect to ANY network is not really a good idea.

i would un-enable (or disable as we call it ) this feature and connect to your network automatically, and the rest manually.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to have to do. Till I can understand my settings better. LAN is a vast subject from what I saw. Thanks for the advice MrDarn.
    I'll need someone to fill in the blanks for me on this topic too when I get to that point!!! Thought I knew what I needed to know about picking up wireless. I have everything set to prevent access from other computers, or do I?

I could pick up un-wanted things if someone else tapped into my computer
    could'nt I?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You probably need to disable WOL in your system BIOS. What is the make and model of your laptop?

Hi arraknid! Thanks I have a Gateway laptop ML6714,WV, IE7, 32-BIT.
    Disabled all wireless access to manual access only. Same thing happened just after I did this. If I go looking to solve problem myself, I will most definately click something to see if that works, then get lost trying to fix that.

FOUND IN WEBOPEDIA;
    The BIOS is typically placed in a ROM chip that comes with the computer (it is often called a ROM BIOS). This ensures that the BIOS will always be available and will not be damaged by disk failures. It also makes it possible for a computer to boot itself. Because RAM is faster than ROM, though, many computer manufacturers design systems so that the BIOS is copied from ROM to RAM each time the computer is booted. This is known as shadowing;
    Is this what you mean???

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    You probably need to disable WOL in your system BIOS. What is the make and model of your laptop?
    Came across WOL while looking up LAN card. Went searching for answers in my computer. Looked to tech. for me. Backed out till I have more understanding on this.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having looked at the details of your machine, I think you are right in wanting to back off from changing settings in BIOS. It's a little complicated. Maybe later.

Meantime, bear in mind that your machine will only start up if you have closed down in Standby or Hibernation mode. Closing down fully will solve the problem.
    Last edited by arraknid; 04-30-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: changed info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast