Post error message 0X80016ba

Gateway desktop Vista 32 [ default ]and 64 bit w' 6 gigs of ram and 640 gigs of hard drive. Upon start up I get an error message : This application has failed to initiate then the 0X80016ba. I have uninstalled and re-installed Windows defender to no avail

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Seems others are having the same problem .. see Windows Defender error 0x80016ba - Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads . If that's not helpful, just do a google search on 0X80016ba .

Default Error 0x80016ba

I went to both of the recommended sites, Microsoft and Google, and they were pushing a registry fix in both cases. I downloaded the free trial, but it did not solve the problem. I guess I'll just have to sing the Vista Blues with everyone else.
    Dogfred

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dogfred,

The answer to your problem is contained in the link Canuck gave you. In case you missed it, I'll repeat it here a little clearer.

Click Start and type Services into the Start Menu search box.
    Click on the Services entry once it appears. When the new window opens, scroll down the list and find Windows Defender and double click it. In Startup type, change the setting to Automatic, then click on Apply and OK and restart the computer.

Regarding the registry cleaner you downloaded, what you were looking at on the linked site was advertising. We at Help2Go do not recommend the use of Registry cleaners. Experience shows that they cause problems rather than curing them. Best advice - uninstall it.

Default error message 0x80016ba - problem solved

First, I apologize to both Canuck and Arraknid for my missing the boat on the suggested fix.
    Somehow, I didn't pick it up the first time around. I did follow the instructions clarified by Arraknid and it did solve the problem. I thank you both for your help.
    Dogfred