Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Putting homemade dvd onto my pc.

Hello there1
    Can anyone help me to download (or upload or rip) a homemade dvd onto my pc, please? Neither Windows Media Player nor Realplayer is giving me the options to do this. Thank you. Maybe it is not possible. I would appreciate if someone told me this so I could stop wondering what I am doing wrong.
    Last edited by Rachel Ni Mhordha; 05-03-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Rachel, how's our Irish lass doing?

Do you know what format the DVD is in? Put DVD into PC (if it starts to play stop it and exit program .. ;eave DVD in PC). Next go to My Computer and double click > in the My Computer window highlight the DVD drive > right click mouse > Open. A window should open showing the contents of the DVD. What files is it showing? You may have to open a folder .. not sure. What we need is the extension ****.ext of the file .. it should be a very large file.

From there, we can tell you how to proceed. Did you make this from your camera?

I'm a displaced Welsh boyo, so don't hold that against me

Hello there, from a Paddy to a Taffy- your Irish Lass is crackin' up! I have no 'my computer' on this Vista thing, just 'computer'. When I go there it shows me my C Drive, A carbonite thing which is a story for another day, and my dvd drive. The contents show me BUP File, which I cannot open.
    Video_TS.IFO............cannot open
    Video_TS..........opens and plays
    VTS_01_0............cannot open
    VTS_01_0.IFO.........cannot open
    VTS_01/2/3..............opens and plays.
    No file extension thing that you mentioned, visible. That doesn't mean it's not there, I hasten to add! Just that I cannot find it. Vista is not as compatible to my brain as XP was. Hope this thing is not bigger than both of us!

It's a DVD I made from a video of a cine camera film taken yonks ago. I'd just like to prove to my kids that I wasn't always this poor decrepit person they see now. Kids only relate to what's in front of them or what is on the screen-you know the story. I'd like them to see me in my hay-day- before I had them and it all went down. Physically-not mentally! There is verifiable truth on this DVD that once I was young like them-if I can rip it, or copy it or whatever the term is for getting it onto my pc. If you can help I'll be forever grateful . All about street cred-you know.

File extension BUP is used by backup files on DVD Video disks. These files contain the same data as File extension IFO files: subtitles, tracks, menus, chapters. DVD players fall back to reading data from these files in situations when IFO files are unreadable. Most common cause for this are scratches and other "tear and wear" of the optical media.

Stay tuned for more input from others..

This is a new DVD so it could not be wear and tear. The rest of your reply is double dutch to me since I ain't a boffin. Mind you, it is a new DVD of a very old cine film so maybe that is where the trouble is. But it shouldn't be tho, should it?

This is a new DVD so it could not be wear and tear

very old cine film.

Maybe that's the problem lets wait for other replies on this. Call me clueless here.

You are so modest! How could anyone on Help2go be clueless-I mean the helpers. The clients-I stand accused. I do hope, tho, that there is an answer to this, even if I have to buy software. I don't mind. It is very important to me that I can edit this DVD and pick out the relevant bits. Kids will not stay around while you go from Billy to Jack, even if it's to see their Ma struttin' her stuff!

I'm not so good with DVD problems. But someone will have an answer for you I'm sure and it could be software related..

I thank you for your help and bid you goodnight. It's quite late here so I'll sign off. TaIk again soon. Oiche mhaith-Irish for goodnight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast