Thread: memory too low

Default memory too low

a got a new hard drive for my computer, my friend installed it and he partition it in to two drives C and D , if that makes any sense. now its saying im too low on virtual memory and the computer runs very slow and freezes a lot, i have tryed to delete old files on the C drive and it doesnt seem to help, i have had this new hard drive for almost 4 years what do i do????

What operating system are you running?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As the system has run well for the past 4 years, the likelihood is you have installed something that requires a lot of memory - like a game, for instance, and your virtual memory, which uses a portion of the hard drive, is set too low.

It could also be that your RAM isn't performing as it should, but it's more likely that you don't have enough of it.

First thing to do is some basic maintenance. Download and run Ccleaner from here, but only run the Cleaner option. Next, download a copy of SuperAntispyware from here, and run that. Then run a full antivirus scan.

Next download a copy of StartupLite from here to your Desktop. Doubleclick StartupLite.exe to launch the program. Once run, ensure the Disable box is checked and click Continue. A pop up message will tell you the unecessary startup items in your list have been disabled and ask you to restart your computer.

The final thing to do is a defrag of your C drive. Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and Disk Defragmenter .

All of that will take some time to do, but it'll get your operating system working much better. If the problem continues, come back. If you can tell us the version of Windows you have and the amount of RAM present, that'll help too. You can find that out by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties. Your system details and the amount of RAM installed is shown under the General tab.