Default using win xp pro disk on home edition?

I have windows xp home edition,

I've encountered this error.

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I've read the directions on this site on how to fix it, but I have a quick question. Unfortunately I do not have the install disk. I was naive bought my computer pre packaged and didn't get any of the disks for the software installed on the computer. I managed at one point to get HP to send me my recovery disks, but it does not contain the actual windows install, which is apparently what I need to access the recovery console.

I do however have a copy of the windows XP Pro edition, is it possible to use the XP Pro disk to repair my pc, even though my pc is the home edition? or will I need to locate a copy of the home edition?

Thanks for your help

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, as you are only using it to access the Recovery Console, it'll do just fine.

For the future, once the machine is up and running again, it may be useful to have the Recovery Console preinstalled and accessible from the boot menu.

So, before returning the borrowed disk, do the following...

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and cancel the install window if it appears.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the text box, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive. If yours is designated differently, substitute that letter.
    4. A Windows Setup Dialog Box will appear which describes the Recovery Console option. To confirm the installation, click Yes.
    5. Restart the computer.

The next time that you start your computer, Microsoft Windows Recovery Console appears on the startup menu. Use the up/down arrows to select it and press Enter

Good luck.

Thanks for your help,

I'll install that once I get everything up and running, and my friend will be glad to know his disk was useful after all.