Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How can I access my PC when I am out of town?

Is there a way to access my computer throught the internet? I run a home network at home through a D-Link DSL-604T router and a dynamic IP address.

I have heard that you can use dyndns to get a static address.

Is there a tutorial that explains the steps in a simple way whithout the difficult jargon?

Your input much appreaciated.

Hi Whakatu, Welcome to H2G!
    Yes, there is a way. I found a program on my computer titled "Remote Access". I have no idea how to do this YET! So, hang in there! As soon as the right person comes along they will be able to explain to you in full detail. I found the program while searching in my windows help & tutorials. Try typing "Remote Access" into your start menu to see what pops up. As I said. Stay tuned for more!
    Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi Whakatu, Welcome to H2G!
    Yes, there is a way. I found a program on my computer titled "Remote Access". I have no idea how to do this YET! So, hang in there! As soon as the right person comes along they will be able to explain to you in full detail. I found the program while searching in my windows help & tutorials. Try typing "Remote Access" into your start menu to see what pops up. As I said. Stay tuned for more!
    Donna
    Forget typing remote access into your start menu. I got nothing!

Can you explain more about your system type? In my Welcome Center, I clicked on Windows Basics and typed Remote Access in search and got a long list of info. You may be able to do this as well!!
    Let us know! Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Member Help2Go Moderator

Whakatu,

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you want to remotely use a computer as if you're sitting at it there are plenty of options. The one that's not free is PCAnywhere. There are, however, free options such as LogMeIn (i love it) and UltraVNC.

LogMeIn and PCAnywhere are pretty much the same software, different company and both work via an internet connection. Pretty much just install and go. UltraVNC though takes a bit more to get it working and it also requires know-how on opening ports on your home router and setting up an account such as DynDNS.

-Partie

Thanks for the info Partie.
    I need to access some of the files on one of my computers when I am out of town. If I can see the computer as if I'm sitting at it so much the better.
    I looked at the LogMeIn website and it looks promising. I made a start to download the software however I stopped as there was no option to save it, only to run it. I will install it on an old computer and give it a trial later today.

I concur with the logmein advice.

I run it on several computers, including:

• My Desktop
    • My Laptop
    • My mothers desktop
    • my uncles laptop
    • My 3 nieces laptops, plus their mothers desktop
    • my Nephews laptop.

Its a great piece of kit, used weekly by me to clean up their PC's remotely.

Just installed the logmein on several computers and tried it out. I absolutely love it.
    Thank you suggestion Party and Mrdarn. This is so much easier to use than the dyndns method.
    Great to have this Help2Go

One thing to remember tho, you are trialing LogMeIn Pro for the first month. some of the features may be disabled then.

I get round this using 2 accounts on MSN to transfer files

Blog Entries

TightVNC is a free remote control software package

TightVNC is a free remote control software package. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer. TightVNC is:

free, GPL-licensed, with full source code available;
    useful in remote administration, remote customer support, education, and for many other purposes;
    cross-platform, available for Windows and Unix, compatible with other VNC software.
    Getting Help
    TightVNC is free (linux based) software, so it comes with no warranty, and we do not guarantee free support. However, there are several ways to get support on TightVNC installation, configuration and usage. See the details here.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Here is another option for FREE

TeamViewer

the All-In-One Solution for Remote Access and Support over the Internet

Free for non-commercial, personal use

TeamViewer is completely free for non-commercial, personal use
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast