Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adobe Flash Player Problem

For the last three months I have had a problem on some web sites that need Adobe Flash Player to operate.
    I get a message telling me to download the latest version and a click here button to do it.
    I already have the latest version, this is on IE7. It was working fine until mid - late February, during February my MA auto update was in almost constant use, the problem only surfaced after the updates ceased to come in so I suspect the problem is in one of the updates.
    I have looked through them all but in the bits I can understand there is nothing I can see that could cause this problem.
    I downloaded the Opera browser and all sites work fine in there.
    Has anyone any ideas how I can sort out my IE browser?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi WiganNW and welcome to Help2Go. You're not alone with this problem. I can only speak on IE7 (I don't want 8 for XP), and have had the same problems. I don't think it has anything to do with your settings, rather I believe it has more to do with the sites you're visiting. I can't remember which sites, but they were just ordinary game sites, and every time I went to them it would tell me that I needed a the latest version of Flash.

I don't have that problem anymore, I use Firefox

Hi Canuck
    The main sites I an having this problem with are the englich Daily telegraph and the B.B.C. news pages all good sites no suspect ones.
    I still blame MS, it's almost a foolproof as blaming your government for all wrongs.

Hi and welcome to our wonderful forum,

I do not know IE 7.0 but I am very familiar with IE 6.0. Having had a bad week with my computers this week just one of the problems was with ActiveX. To solve that part of my issue, I went into:
    • Tools
    • Manage Add-Ons
    • Made sure the Add-ons were enabled for the respective application you are seeking to load
    Once they were enabled, I had no other problems with loading the URL's I wanted.

I apologize if IE 7.0 has not the same Internet Options for you to access, but this post may give you a hint where to look to activate your ActiveX add-ons in IE 7.0

kind regards,
    Last edited by tallin; 05-16-2009 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Hi Tallin,IE& has the same parts you mentioned, I had a look but everything was enabled, I still suspect an MS update for my problem.

Have you tried rolling back to IE 6.0?

How about System Restore to a point before your problem arose?

Just grabbing at straws to assist here.

kind regards,

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First thing to do is download the official Flash uninstaller utility from here, to your Desktop. Make sure all browsers are closed, and messengers, etc disabled, then run the uninstaller.

Once complete, before restarting, go into IE7, Tools, Manage Add-ons, Enable or Disable Add-ons, then select Add-ons that run without requiring permission in the Show box. Scroll down and highlight the 2 Shockwave entries, if they are there, Flash Object and ActiveX Control, and Delete them. Be sure to delete not disable. Close the window and restart the machine.

Once restarted, launch IE and go to the problem sites. They'll prompt you to install Flash, so do so and see if it works.

Tallin, I don't thinl IE7 is the problem as I was having no problems prior to the MS February updates. My system Restore has stopped working, I have tried that one but after doing all the neccessary things I get a "No setpoint" message.
    This ialong with the Adobe problem is happening on both my computers, my main one which is away having a new motherboard installed and my back up on which i'm using now.

arraknid, I'll try your suggestions out later, I am off out soon i'lltry when I get back.

Thanks for your response,

Arraknid is much more knowledged than I am and gave you very good advice.

With my issues this last week the first thing I did was uninstall and reinstall, but it did not help me at all. We must remember all systems are different so as you say, you will follow his advice as suggested. What worked for me were enabling the Add-ons as already reported.

Re your System Restore issue, why not start another thread when you feel you have the time as I have some good suggestions how you could rectify it and get it back up and running. I will not give them here as we do not want to go off topic in this thread. It only confused the readers.

Good luck,

kind regards,

Tallin, thank you for the offer, I will open a thred on system Restore once I have this problem sorted.
    Regards Wigan NW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast