Question understanding Vista

Hi
    My grandson needed money and instead of accepting a loan.........he sold me his laptop.

I never did like laptops because of the mouse thing; but my main problem is Vista. I use windows xp on my desktop and I guess I'm just so used to it that I'm really uncomfortable with Vista.

On my desktop I do a START - RUN process and just type in where I want to go. The laptop has START and then I'm lost.....

So I have computer tips in a folder on my desktop and decided to email them to me on my laptop. When I tried to save them thru notepad...I couldn't find notepad. I finally did find it after I got frustraited.....

Anyway, I can't find microsoft word at all... I'm thinking it doesn't exits on Vista.

SO HERE'S MY QUESTION....

Is there a place where I can go to learn Vista for a complete beginner???

OR should I hang up laptops altogether?

ALSO. Where can I find Microsoft Word on this thing????

Sorry for taking so much time explaining.....Hope you can lead me in the right direction.

Alyce

Hi alsprink!
    I have Vista Home Premium. Try clicking on your start menu. If you don't see Welcome Center in the list, type it into the search bar. See what you get.
    I also found some excellent tutorials when I googled "tutorials for Windows Vista Home Premium'". Let me know what you come up with please, for I am learning,too!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
    Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Microsoft Word is not standard issue for Windows of any version.

What you probably found was you got Microsoft Works bundled in with your computer as part of a deal. its basically a cut-down version of the Microsoft Office suite you can buy.

As for the run command, its hidden away in vista.

You can do one of 2 things:

1. Right-click the start orb and select properties. Click the option for Start Menu then Customize.
      Scroll down till you see the run command and tick the box. Click ok, and the run command will be available from the start menu again
    2. Hold the Windows Key: and hit the [R] key once to make the run box appear

As for the Word problem, you have 2 choices:

1. Buy a copy of works or office
    2. Download Open Office which is free and looks amazingly like Word, even saving and opening in Words default filetype.

Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2007
    I found this in my uninstall list after I typed in M.S. WORD.
    Just under it is M.S. Office Works. I thought it was standard.
    Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

No Donna, anything more than the operating system (XP, Vista) are usually add ons by the computer manufacturer (to sweeten the deal for you to buy their product). They also include trial software like 90 day trial of Norton, or even MS Office, but once the trial period is up, you have to buy the product if you want to keep it). Note, for most of the trial programs there are free alternatives that do just as good a job if not better, like Open Office that Mr.Darn recommends.

Thanks for clarifying that for me, Canuck! I understand the difference, now.

Thumbs up thanks to all

I have found my RUN option now, thanks to MrDarn.

Thanks DonnaB for the info on Vista Tuts. I'm on my way there now.

I may just end up liking this laptop after all.

alyce