Default Uninstall then reinstall problem (Dreamweaver)

I got into a mess with too many sites showing as recently used pages in Dreamweaver 8. Thanks to help given on here i managed to sort out most of the mess but i decided to uninstall the program then reinstall it hoping to start again, having learned from my mistakes. I saved all my sites in separate folders on my laptop and uninstalled Dreamweaver from my main PC. Then i reinstalled it but instead of having a nice new clean version i got the same mess as before, everything is back. I can only assume i missed something when i uninstalled it but i can't think what.

This is what i did
    Control panel - add/remove programs - remove Dreamweaver 8
    Then i deleted the desktop shortcut
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You probably didn't delete any data file it made. First, in Dreamweaver, go to options and see where it is storing backup files, go there and delete said file(s), then uninstall Dreamweaver, run Ccleaner using it default settings (do not use the registry cleaner, they can cause more problems than they fix). If that doesn't work try uninstalling with Windows Install Cleanup utility .

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Grezaldo,

Your mistake was reinstalling. When Dreamweaver is uninstalled it leaves behind cache files in .XLS format, detailing all settings for your sites, so when you reinstalled, it found them and reinstated all of the files.

You need to go to C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration\SiteCache where User is your name. To see the files you'll need to make hidden files visible. Just open any window and click on Tools, Folder Options, View tab and select Show hidden files and folders from the list. Click on Apply, then go searching.

If you want to make a totally clean start, uninstall as before, delete the entire Configuration folder, then reinstall.

I assume you plan on copying back the new folders to the PC and setting up new sites using the folders as Root folders. That's good!

Very helpful as always

Thanks
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.