Default Unrelated to first post - Firefox will not use scroll wheel

I have looked on the Firefox forums for help but there are only unanswered questions from other people with the same problem.

Internet Explorer and windows in general will recognise the scroll wheel and scroll up and down a page as normal, but Firefox does not. However it does recognise the wheel being clicked.

It worked before I did a system re-format, but the installation was fine and normal.

XP Pro SP3
    Firefox version: 3.0.10

Also I know I have just posted a thread, but as they are separate issues I thought this was more appropriate.

The only thing i can think of at this moment is this:

Have you tried clicking inside a non-text input area (such as a picture or a block of displayed text) first before you try to scroll?

The mouse wheel will not scroll the page when the scrollable area is not selected first.

If this does not work, post back and i'll examine further.

Yeah that was the only suggestion I could find on the Firefox forums, and it doesn't fix it. Even if I click inside your shout box it will not scroll it, only if I click/hold on the scroll bar or use the middle-mouse button.

I'm sorry, that is all the info i can find also.

Has the scroll ever worked with firefox? if so, have you considered reinstalling the software?

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

I installed a buggy add on once that made my right click stop working. I don't remember what add on it was but it had nothing to do with the mouse.

You might try uninstalling add ons.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Yes it did work before I re-formatted my PC. I'll try removing my add-ons first (haven't got many so at least it won't take long!) and try re-installing Firefox if needs be then.

Ok so after re installing and playing around a bit I think it might have been my Labtec Mouse drivers... I have left them off and the scroll works fine in Firefox.

Need to look for some other drivers so I can continue to use the extra buttons as I used to.

Excellent news! i was thinking drivers, but couldn't relate a connection.

The mouse having extra buttons would point to a non-standard driver needing to be installed.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing!!!

Pleased you found the problem, and good luck with the solution!