Unhappy Computer does not recognize monitor.

I've been using my eMachine and the same monitor since 2006, and suddenly the computer won't send a signal to the monitor; I just get the RGB test/warning on the screen. I know the monitor isn't faulty, because I hooked it up to another computer, and it worked just fine. I did have a virus, and I was going to reinstall Windows XP when the monitor stopped working, because the hard drive was already dead... I don't know if that would affect it or not. I read that it could be the graphics card, but when I look inside my computer, there is no actual card, but small boxes for each cord input... Is there anything I can do to fix this before having to pay to have it fixed? Thank you.

I take it you have checked the cables are inserted fully, and there is nothing at all on the screen, at any point, that would suggest your monitor was receiving information.

You could try a new graphics card, if you know which interface is on your motherboard. It does look like, from what you've said, that the on board graphics have bit the bullet.

Once installed, you may need to enter the BIOS to disable the on board card, before you get full functionality from the new card.

keep us updated!

Yeah, the only signal I have that the monitor is on is the RGB test, telling me to check the cables, and that the monitor is working. Which I did check the cables, and no, nothing changed. Do you know if it would cost much to have it fixed by a technician? I'm not completely savvy with computers, and I'd rather not make it worse, ha.

Yes, in a nutshell, it will cost.

normally they charge something just to look at it, without doing anything, and this would be an hours rate (Normally about 15-20 ($30-$40 US))
    This would be just to suggest fixes, as nothing can be guarenteed.
    Then you will have the cost of replacing the damaged part.
    The good thing is the tech will be able to use spares to troubleshoot, so you wont be wasting money buying things to try.

You may be able to find a shop that will look at it for free, but they are few and far between. (I'm lucky enough to have one on my doorstep, which i use for my supplies, and he returns the favour)
    Having someone 'call out' will be more again!

The thing with this problem is it could be ANYTHING!

It could be not enough power, suggesting a failing PSU
    It could be RAM on its way out
    It could be the motherboard failing
    It could be the processor overheating

We know its not the monitor, as you've tried it elsewhere.

My next port of call would be a stand-alone Graphics card, But its your call.

To eliminate a driver issue, try booting the computer to safemode, or to the bios screen.

Tap [F8] on bootup and see if an option screen appears.
    If not, try again usi ng the [del] key or [F1]

If nothing, and your not confident inside a machine, then i'm afraid you will need to seek help.

I'm sorry i cant be of more assistance.

Oh, no, this was extremely helpful, haha. I kind of had the feeling it could have been anything, so I thought to ask first, but... taking it to a shop might be a better idea for it, or just investing in a new one. Thanks!

I honestly believe its just a case of needing a new graphics card, so if you do find out whats up, please do call back and let us know!

Good luck!