Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy System Fan error-Want to transfer hard drive info

Hi,
    I have a Gateway laptop (model 6436) that just crashed on me. It won't boot up. When I turn it on, it says to turn the system off and check the fan. I've dusted it out as best I can, but the computer is old and is not worth fixing. I want to transfer the information to my other laptop.

I've read other tutorials about how to accomplish this task, but I'm lost. I do not know ANY of the technical terms being used.

My old computer's dvd drive won't open either. It powers on, displays the error message then after a minute or so, will shut itself off.

I was wondering if anyone could explain how to transfer the information to my new computer, in simple terms. Seriously. Like if you're telling an 8th grader how to do it, lol. That's how much I don't know about computers!

Blog Entries

Power of x. xn dx = x(n+1) / (n+1) + C
    (n -1) Proof 1/x dx = ln|x| + C

Exponential / Logarithmic ex dx = ex + C
    Proof bx dx = bx / ln(b) + C
    Proof, Tip!
    ln(x) dx = x ln(x) - x + C
    Proof

Trigonometric sin x dx = -cos x + C
    Proof csc x dx = - ln|CSC x + cot x| + C
    Proof
    COs x dx = sin x + C
    Proof sec x dx = ln|sec x + tan x| + C
    Proof
    tan x dx = -ln|COs x| + C
    Proof cot x dx = ln|sin x| + C
    Proof

Trigonometric Result COs x dx = sin x + C
    Proof CSC x cot x dx = - CSC x + C
    Proof
    sin x dx = COs x + C
    Proof sec x tan x dx = sec x + C
    Proof
    sec2 x dx = tan x + C
    Proof csc2 x dx = - cot x + C
    Proof

Inverse Trigonometric arcsin x dx = x arcsin x + (1-x2) + C
    arccsc x dx = x arccos x - (1-x2) + C
    arctan x dx = x arctan x - (1/2) ln(1+x2) + C

Inverse Trigonometric Result
    dx
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (1 - x2) = arcsin x + C

dx
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    x (x2 - 1) = arcsec|x| + C

dx
    1 + x2 = arctan x + C

Useful Identities
    arccos x = /2 - arcsin x
    (-1 <= x <= 1)

arccsc x = /2 - arcsec x
    (|x| >= 1)

arccot x = /2 - arctan x
    (for all x)

Hyperbolic sinh x dx = cosh x + C
    Proof csch x dx = ln |tanh(x/2)| + C
    Proof
    cosh x dx = sinh x + C
    Proof sech x dx = arctan (sinh x) + C
    tanh x dx = ln (cosh x) + C
    Proof coth x dx = ln |sinh x| + C
    Proof

Sorry about being a smart Alec...but the laptop may just have an over heating problem it may just be a fan failure (fans are cheap)...with your knowledge ..I suggest @ least talking to a mom/pop shop or Comp USA or Best Buy etc etc ... the cost to test is sometimes free if you buy the fan, also,
    It should not be too costly to have them replace the laptop fan

Credits:
    Click on Proof for a proof/discussion of a theorem.
    To solve a more complicated integral, see The Integrator at
    Wolfram Mathematica Online Integrator
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-20-2009 at 10:54 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi rpaz17, if the laptops not working, you'd have to remove the hard drive (if it's working) and install it on your good PC as a slave drive and transfer that way. However as abseh1 advises you'll need to have it done by a tech. You could ask them to copy your data to a CD and then copy from the cd to your PC would probably be the easiest and cheapest way. Depends how important the data is on the laptop.

Cool

I was hoping I could like...I dunno...plug a cord into each computer and it'd just automatically transfer stuff lol. Oh well, I guess I'll have to give in and call a technician. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rpaz17 View Post
    I was hoping I could like...I dunno...plug a cord into each computer and it'd just automatically transfer stuff lol. Oh well, I guess I'll have to give in and call a technician. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
    There are ways that simple...your problem is the HDD must be spinning mechanically
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Without the computer actually booting, a simple 'line to line' connection isnt possible.

The best bet is to slave the drive to a working PC to retrieve the information you want, then work on the other problem, which sounds as simple as replacing the fan, or cleaning all the dust out.

If you like, we could post some step by steps for you?

My one computer is a Gateway and my working one is a Compaq, would I just try to fit the harddrive into the other computer or do I have to plug the hard drive into something then plug that into the computer? I have absolutely no idea what you mean when you're talking about a slave drive???? What on earth is a slave drive?! LOL! I tried dusting the computer out already but it still gives the same error. Is replacing the fan expensive? Where do I get a fan? Yes, please do provide some steps on connecting the old harddrive to the new one.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Assuming the HD is OK, you should buy an enclosure, similar to the one shown here.

That way you can connect to your other machine via a USB cable.

This video shows the fitting of a 3" drive rather than the 2" drive you have in the laptop, but the procedure is pretty much the same, and very simple.

Cool...The hard drive out of the Gateway measures 4in long by 3 inches wide...should I still get the one in the link you gave me? Is it gonna be the right size? Is there any part of the hard drive that I need to make sure I don't touch? Can I store it outside the computer or should I screw it back in until I get that thing from the link?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The hard drive out of the Gateway measures 4in long by 3 inches wide...should I still get the one in the link you gave me?
    That's called a 2" drive. The larger model for a PC is a 3".

As to whether the linked enclosure will work, it depends on the type of drive you have in the laptop. There are 2 types: IDE or PATA, and SATA. This illustrates the difference....

Once you know the connection type, you can find the correct enclosure.

Is there any part of the hard drive that I need to make sure I don't touch? Can I store it outside the computer or should I screw it back in until I get that thing from the link?
    Once you've ascertained the connection type, leave it in place till you need to swap it out. In general, hard disks are pretty robust, but don't touch anything on the exposed circuit board, or any of the pins. It's a good idea to touch an earthed metal surface before starting, to discharge any static charge.

EDIT>>>> Just to add that the linked enclosure is an IDE/PATA type.
    Last edited by arraknid; 05-22-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast