Default How to retrieve mail from a 2nd (Vista) hard drive

Fab's PE free utility program is great for retrieving mail and addresses from a 2nd hard drive connected to my Vista computer, provided the 2nd hard drive has XP on it.

However, what program can I use if the hard drive from which I want to retrieve has Vista and I want to retrieve the addresses and mail from the "Windows Mail" program?
    So far I was able to retrieve most of the data of the Documets folder after claiming full ownership, however I have not been able to get my hands on the mail and addresses.
    Any ideas?

Blog Entries

What type of email program...pop server or imap ( Internet Message Access Protocol) etc?

Simple put is it web based or not?

If you used Outlook Express
    You should be able to trace the drive path to the wab folder on the old disk...that is the address folder

Outlook will be in a different folder of course
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-22-2009 at 06:50 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

As it is not my own harddrive I only can guess it is a pop server.
    I am not too worried about the settings as I can create a new pop or imap account.
    At present I can locate the folder where the mail is stored (C:\Users\[Username].\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows mail) and could just copy this.

My question is if there is a similar program as Fab PE which can do this for me on Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Whakatu View Post
    My question is if there is a similar program as Fab PE which can do this for me on Vista.
    If by Fab PE you mean Fab's AutoBackup (Fab's Corner) then version 3 according to it's official web-site can do that.
    It's still in beta though so use with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by theseven View Post
    If by Fab PE you mean Fab's AutoBackup (Fab's Corner) then version 3 according to it's official web-site can do that.
    It's still in beta though so use with caution.
    I looked at this beta version of Fab's Autobackup but this is only for backing up and restoring on the same computer. Fab's PE will access other computers. I will wait until this will come out in a new version.

provided the 2nd hard drive has XP on it.
    If the 2nd drive is readable, it does not matter what OS is on it.

I recommend you start the email program of your source email and Export the email. Then import it into where you want it.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    If the 2nd drive is readable, it does not matter what OS is on it.

I recommend you start the email program of your source email and Export the email. Then import it into where you want it.
    I am sorry you are missing the point. This 2nd drive is not my primary one so there is no way I can export.
    Anyway, I wait until Bab's PE latest version is releast as this will do the job.

Hmmm. I guess I am confused. You said, "it is not my own harddrive". So you have taken this drive and installed it another machine, now you are trying to get the email off it. Is that right? Whose drive is it?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    Hmmm. I guess I am confused. You said, "it is not my own harddrive". So you have taken this drive and installed it another machine, now you are trying to get the email off it. Is that right? Whose drive is it?
    Thats correct. This is a hard drive from one of my clients pcs which I need to reformat and reinstal. But before this I need to backup all the data. To get the email and contacts is not a real problem as I can simply copy the Windows Mail folder and Contacts folder and replace the ones after I have reinstalled all the Vista software. The issue is at the moment if there is a utility program that automatically copies all the relevant data, including the email and contacts and make a backup from this. I know now that Fab's PE does this very fast for the XP OS but not "yet" for Vista. Still like to know if ther is another utility that does the same.

Okay, sorry - didn't mean to derail the thread - especially since I don't have a better solution than the one given. Obviously, exporting and creating backups before there were problems would have been best - but hindsight is, or better be, 20/20.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────