Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Updater

Default Google Updater

Apologies if this is a repeat query - I'm as sure as I can be I've asked this before and it was covered in a thread a little while ago (and I may have actually applied whatever suggestion was made at the time) but I've done a thorough search of the forums and my own file of saved information and can't find it.

Is this necessary (seems intrusive from what I remember) and should I uninstall from Add/Remove? I have Google Earth (and use Google as my homepage in both Firefox and IE7)

Thank you

Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Personally I don't think you need it just because you have Google Earth & Google Home page, Google updater runs in the background. You can update Google Earth by going directly to the Google Earth page, I don't like any update programs running in the background.... If it's in the add/remove, then yes you can remove it that way, let us know if it is not there.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can also stop it from starting up by deselecting it in msconfig, or even simpler, use the Startup tab under Tools in CCleaner. That's probably more acceptable, because if it's uninstalled completely, you need to reinstall it when you want to do an update.

Blog Entries

Default FileHippo.com Update Checker

FileHippo.com Update Checker

I have tried both Google Updater and the FileHippo.com Update Checker

I prefer the FileHippo up date checker vs the Google's Checker
    FileHippo is less intrusive and I only allow it to run when I want to use it

Be careful..UP Date Checkers will show BETA updates too
    Beta updates are not recommended for all end-users
    What are the requirements?
    The Update Checker works on any Windows PC running Vista, XP, 2003, 2000, ME or 98.
    It requires that the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 is installed, which you may download directly from here, or the installer will prompt and download it automatically
    Disclaimer: both are BETA

I hope this helps
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-23-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: added links
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thanks all for the quick response

@zep516 and Arraknid

I saw Google Update in Add/Remove which is what prompted my query but I take Arraknid's point that if I uninstall it completely it may reinstall when I update (but which I guess would only mean remembering to uninstall it after every update?)

msconfig shows the following :

Google Update Service : Stopped
    Google Software Updater : Running

I presume these are not the same thing ? Would it be better to stop software updater running also?

Under Tools>Startup in CCleaner it shows that Google Toolbar Notifier has been disabled (I've just realised this is what my original old post was about - finally found the thread) but neither Google Update Service nor Google Software Updater are listed

I guess Update Service, Software Updater and Toolbar Notifier are three different things but why isn't CCleaner listing Update Service and Software Updater (even though this last is apparently running in msconfig)?

@ abseh1 thanks for the link - is Filehippo the same thing as Secunia PSI, which I'm already using?

Questions, questions ...

Thank you

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Blog Entries

Steph

Steph wrote
    @ abseh1 thanks for the link - is Filehippo the same thing as Secunia PSI, which I'm already using?
    No, Secunia PSI is completely different...you do not need either Google or Filehippo update checkers if you are satisfied with Secunia PSI

Secunia PSI will update 3rd party software and has other tools too
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Hi Steph,

You are looking under the Services tab in msconfig rather than the Startup tab, but no matter. Personally, I stop both those services, then make sure there's nothing listed under the startup tab. If there is, uncheck it. It isn't necessary to have any updaters running in the background other than your antivirus.

@ abseh1 - I'm quite happy with Secunia PSI (I think?!) so will keep using that for the moment - thanks for info on filehippo though, I've filed it away for future reference

@ Arraknid - yes, sorry, I looked under the wrong tab. I've now unticked both Update Service and Software Updater under Services - they weren't listed under Startup. Toolbar Notifier was already unticked under Startup as a result of my old thread.

Thanks again, I think that tidies that up nicely

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Blog Entries

You are always welcome.

Good morning - I've done something a little stupid and I'm not sure how to undo it

After the changes in msconfig in the previous post, I switched off the computer and didn't restart it again until this morning. A System Configuration Utility message popped up as it was loading informing me I'd made changes to the way Windows starts and it was currently in Selective or Diagnostic mode - choose Normal on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes made using System Configuratin Utility. Which, being half asleep, is what I did.

When I woke up and checked msconfig>services and startup tabs, I saw I'd re-enabled everything that had been unticked before (and there were quite a lot of items before this last change that had been disabled but I can't remember which ones). I tried System Restore to put it back the way it was before but it didn't work.

I don't suppose there's any way of restoring this to its previous state without doing it all manually?

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast