Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New SATA DVD-RW Drives Not Working Properly

Hi all,

For my new PC, I decided to replace the 2 IDE DVD drives I had (Which were working 100% fine) with 2 brand new Sony SATA DVD-RW drives (same product). I had my friend who built my new pc install the new drives. Link to the product I bought is below:

Play.com (UK) : Sony DRU-860S 22X Internal SATA DVD-SM Drive : Computing - Free Delivery

When I turn the machine on, they make this slight clunking sound which don't sound good.

The problem it's self is when I put in my Call Of Duty:World at War DVD, it sometimes takes a while to read. But will eventually load the Auto-Display for the game and I can launch for example the single player/Coop fine. But if I close the game and do something else for a while, then come to either run the singleplayer game via it's shortcut or just go to My Computer to see what's in the DVD drive, the computer will just sit there trying to read the disc and miss-loading until I take it out. Sometimes when this happens, it gives me the error 'Please insert the correct disc'.

I have bought the game again thinking the first disc may have been scratched but it's doing exactly the same thing with this new disc. I had no problems like this with my previous drives I was using.

My new computer spec is in my Signature.

Any help would be appreciated.

James
    Manufacturer: Self-built
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
    Memory: 8 GB DDR2
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1024MB GDDR3
    Monitor: iiyama ProLite X486S 19''
    Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
    Operating System: Windows 7 - 64Bit
    Motherboard: NVIDIA NForce 680i SLI
    Computer Case: Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I once tried fitting a SATA DVD drive and had nothing but trouble with it. I soon switched back. Most motherboards still support IDE optical drives, even when there are SATA connections available.

I see from the link that they are SATA1 spec, which offers little or no benefit compared to IDE drives.

Just a thought, usually with Hard Drives there's a small switch to select SATA1 or SATA2. It may also be labelled 1.5 or 3.0. Just check to make sure the drives are compatible with the motherboard. I notice your HD is SATA 2 (II), but the DVD drives are SATA 1.

When you say 'small switch to select SATA1 or SATA2', did you mean this is on the back of the SATA HDD I got or on the board its self?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

When you say 'small switch to select SATA1 or SATA2', did you mean this is on the back of the SATA HDD I got or on the board its self?
    Sorry, that was a bit confusing. What I meant was, on certain SATA HDD's there's an option to run SATA1 or SATA2, depending on what your mobo will support. If that option isn't present, the drive will simply adapt itself to whatever speed is available. In the case of your optical drive, it's specified as SATA1, so should be compatible.

That said, there are problems with some motherboard host controllers using the VIA and SIS chipsets , but the fact that you have a HDD running OK would tend to rule that out.

As I said previously, unless you fit a SATA2 optical drive, you'll have no speed advantage, so upgrading from PATA/IDE to SATA1 will give you tidier cables, but that's about all.

Vista doesn't seem to like SATA optical drives of any variety, but you have XP, so unless there's something in SP3 causing a problem, it's hard to see what could be causing the problem.

Another problem with Sony optical drives is the DRM protection issue. Certain of their CD's install a rootkit to stop illegal copying. It's easily removed, if present. Check out this page.

If you can check that the drives are working OK on another machine, that would help. Personally, I'd just switch back to the IDE drives that you know work.

OK thanks arraknid, lots of things to try.

I'll let you know how I get on over the next few days.

Update: I think you was right arraknid about copy protection. I done some searching after a friend said that it could be SecuROM (SecuROM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It's done by Sony and also when the game (COD5) installs it adds some secrete anti-copy program which I think my drives are reacting to.

I have tried all my other games since then with these new drives and they have been 100% prefect so I decided to keep them in the end. I don't think I will be playing COD5 much more anyway, especially when COD6 comes out....still a pain though.

Thanks for you help.

Blog Entries

You are quite at liberty to remove the SecuRom software. Sony installed it without your permission and they are currently under investigation for doing so. This tutorial will explain how to go about it.

Hi, sorry for the massive bump but I've found this thread on Google and am having the same issue as the OP.

It seems to be an issue with Games for Windows games I have - "Call of Duty: World at War" and "Fallout 3". Both the same issue. No other disc does this.

I've had two separate motherboards with my DRU-860S. If I eject the drive and deject it back the disc is usable for about five minutes. After that point, when you try to access the drive (or even visit My Computer) the disc will start to spin indefinitely with the LED flashing as if the disc is damaged or otherwise unreadable.

I'm running Windows 7 x64, but this issue has been the same on Windows XP and Windows Vista x86. Using Realtek HD Audio, as the OP. I think this might be relevant because I've seen someone try to claim it was causing the issue rather than some sort of DRM.

Any help or any follow up information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Yohan,

I gave up trying to fix my issue in the end, I bought 2 newer Sony Sata drives and my problems went away. Not had the issue since.

Quote Originally Posted by yohan View Post
    Hi, sorry for the massive bump but I've found this thread on Google and am having the same issue as the OP.

It seems to be an issue with Games for Windows games I have - "Call of Duty: World at War" and "Fallout 3". Both the same issue. No other disc does this.

I've had two separate motherboards with my DRU-860S. If I eject the drive and deject it back the disc is usable for about five minutes. After that point, when you try to access the drive (or even visit My Computer) the disc will start to spin indefinitely with the LED flashing as if the disc is damaged or otherwise unreadable.

I'm running Windows 7 x64, but this issue has been the same on Windows XP and Windows Vista x86. Using Realtek HD Audio, as the OP. I think this might be relevant because I've seen someone try to claim it was causing the issue rather than some sort of DRM.

Any help or any follow up information would be greatly appreciated.

Would you mind telling me what type they are? I might give up too, it's annoying having to eject my disc every time I want to access it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast