Cool Installing a new hard drive, getting a disk read error

Hey all,
    I'm trying to install a new WD 500 GB hard drive as my primary boot drive, "C", into my Gateway E300 desktop computer. I keep getting a disk read error everytime I install it as the primary boot drive, no matter how I copy the "C" contents over, and no matter which drive slot it goes into. The jumper settings are set correctly each time. I also have a secondary hard drive in the "D" position which has not given me a problem. It has data on it and I'm wondering if I could still transfer data and settings with data already on it, then use it as the primary and the 500 GB as the "D"? Any takers????
    Please???????? All the support desks at the computer and hard drive manufacturer's web sites are useless.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's not clear from your post, but if you attempting to copy the contents of your current C drive to the new one and expecting it to work, it won't!

The only way to 'copy' from one drive to another when the original contains an operating system is to use a drive image created by backup software like Acronis True Image or Symantec Save and Restore.

If you don't have that facility, you should reinstall Windows directly onto the new drive as a clean install. Also consider partitioning the drive. 500Gb is way too big for an operating system.

FYI, Windows Backup utility will only back up files, it won't create a drive image.

Thanks, it is greatly appreciated! I had wondered about the partitioning, how big of a partition would you think is appropriate? I'm sure it depends a great deal on how it is too be used. This one is to be used as a strictly home computer. I do have the Symantec Internet package that includes computer security. With your help I'll get this thing working. Thanks Again!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Symantec's Norton Internet Security isn't the same as Norton Save and Restore. They are completely different animals.

This link explains what S & R does. It's a cut down version of Norton Ghost and is ideal for a single machine install that doesn't rely on a network to access the external storage drive. It's also cheaper than Ghost! You'll find it even cheaper on a lot of other sites so, if you go that route, shop around.

As far as your drive is concerned, go for a small partition for the operating system - say 50Gb, then split the rest into equal partitions, so 3 x 150Gb. Each of those should house data files - effectively replacing your My Documents. That could be music files, video, and images, together with saved files from installed software.

Don't be tempted to use an internal drive for any backup files. Anything that screws up the original files will most likely do the same to the backup copy. Always use an external drive of a suitable size.

I have used Drive Image XML (a free program) to clone drives and it has worked well for me. It is available here: DriveImage XML Backup Software

Charlie

The link says "backup software," but it also does a drive image from drive to drive. Put original drive in as C, then the new drive as D- image C to D. Remove the original C drive, reset jumpers, put new drive as C.

Default I tried the recommendation

The Drive Image XML didn't help. I did everything it said to do, now I get an OS Load error. I created a backup then restored it to my new drive and installed it in the C slot and got the error. Should I try the Symantec Product?